Author Topic: roberts family of Llangedwyn/llansilin  (Read 5462 times)

Offline chettyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
roberts family of Llangedwyn/llansilin
« on: Friday 30 March 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any descendants of the Roberts family who farmed at The Golfa, Llangedwyn. My 2xgreat grandfather John Roberts was born there in 1815. He married Jane Owens of Pen-yr-Allt farm, Sycharth, Llansilin, where they went to live after the death of Jane's father Edward.

John and Jane had 11 children - Mary Ann, Edward, John, Richard, Jane, Frances, William Owen, Sarah, Elizabeth, Eliza and Martha (my great grandma). I would particularly like to hear from anyone descended from Edward and John, as I have not been able to trace them at all.

The family also lived for a time at Llawnt and later Brook House Farm at Selattyn, near Oswestry.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Offline JanW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: roberts family of Llangedwyn/llansilin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to find information on my great grandmother Jane Roberts who was born in Denbighshire circas 1870, not sure where, and who married an Edward Knight  in the mid 1890's possibly in Liverpool.   They lived in Mozart ST., Studholme St., Lambeth Road and Celia St. Kirkdale, Liverpool.  The children were John, Helen or Ellen who died, Lilian, Ada (my grandmother)and James and Edward.

Could Jane be related to your Roberts family?

Jan

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
Well Jan,there are 68 possible Jane Roberts' born in Denbighshire two years either way of 1869 in the 1871 Census.Your hardest problem as I see it, is to find where Edward and Jane's Marriage took place.I certainly couldn't find it,in all the available Indexes on Lancashire,Cheshire,North Wales BMD,and Free BMD on Ancestry.Of course the question has to be asked;How do you know her maiden name was Roberts?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chettyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

The Jane Roberts in my tree married James Cousin of Yorkshire. I don't think there is any connection between your family and mine.

Ann

Offline JanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

Yes, I'm slowly trying to go through all the Roberts but it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Jane's maiden name appeared on the Birth Certifcate for her daughter Ada (my paternal grandmother).   My Dad seems to think that there was some connection to the Crump family from Gresford and I have in the past found a marriage for a Hannah Roberts to a John Crump but have been consistently unsuccessful in finding the marriage
reference for Jane.

I did however find a marriage reference for a John McIver and a Jane Roberts in Wrexham and am wondering if this is her and she was widowed and re-married Edward Knight.   If this is so would her maiden name or married name appear on the marriage record?  The other thing I've thought about is that her name was Jane something - possibly a Crump (census records give a Jane) and she married a Roberts who died and then she re-married, but when she registered the birth if she was asked what her name was before she married Edward Knight she could have said Roberts.  Equally she could just have lived with Edward and not married, though he was an Irish Catholic and so don't suppose this was the case.  As you see I've tried to think of all eventualities but still keep drawing a blank

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Jan

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
Yes it most certainly is a difficult one Jan.As far as I'm aware,her Marriage Certificate,lets say to Edward Knight would include her name prior to Marriage.However it would include her Fathers name,and of course this would remain constant.However a childs Birth Certificate would indeed contain the Mother's maiden name.I will now have a look again through the Edward Knight marriages.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

Yes, of course the father's name would be on the marriage certificate I wasn't thinking straight.

On a recent trip to the Liverpool Record Office I looked up a marriage for a Mina Roberts on the chance that she had another Christian name, but this gave the husbands' name as William Edgar Knight so I don't think this is the right one.   

One thing I have thought is whether or not Jane married in a Welsh Baptist or Methodist Chapel so next time I go to Liverpool I'll see what records they have there. 

Thanks for your interest and help.

Jan

Offline nummy nums

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
My family also lived at the Brookhouse farm, Selattyn. I have lots of old sepia photo's  of family gatherings in Victorian dress taken there, BUT.
The surname I am tracing is Griffiths. My grt. gran lived and played there when she was young her name was Margaret and was born in 1885. Any connection?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 June 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
See this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,312516.0.html

for nummy's family  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***