Author Topic: soldiers  (Read 3156 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: soldiers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 March 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
I found them in the 1901 census., thats what prompted the query, that and a memior of my Uncle's life which  mentions Aaron as a child of the family sacrificed in the Great War.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
If they stayed in this country, wont they have had naturalisation papers? Not really sure where to apply for them, though I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction. I couldn't find any Aaron Gof/Goldberg on ancestry, other than the 1901 census entry  :-\
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
Best match I can find on SDGW is Albert Goldberg, although he died 1918 and he was from East London.
I've tried wildcard searches, and nothing else remotely like Gofberg I'm afraid.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 March 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
there are a couple of things that might throw the search out here, if the name is of german/yiddish origin, the name may well be Gossberg, the double s ( ss) in german is sometimes spelt with a f

the second problem is that he was a russian jew, the government at the time really didn't know what to do with them, especially after the withdrawal of russia from the war

russian jews who volunteered where almost invariably rejected ( Messenger:A Call to Arms) .....The Zion Mule corp was set up to serve in the middle east but had wasted away by 1916

a jewish battalion of the london regiment was formed( 20th reserve) in 1917 the jewish regiment was formed as the 38th royal fusiliers ( later the 39th and 42nd as well) in 1918 with some unrest relating the russia withdrawal no more russians were sent to combatant units and 2 coys of labour corps were formed, but with mainly unwilling soldiers

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 March 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
Looked in the B'ham City Battalions book of honour with all the variations but not there either.

Jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 March 07 17:59 BST (UK) »
I found Albert Goldberg as well and I thought it was him but that was his mother's married name and when I checked further Albert was born in Walthamstow.

They were Russian Jews and the family were quite proud that their son died in the service of the country that adopted them!... Despite the prejudice they all endured.

I will look for gossberg
Thanks for all the help.

Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 March 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
The only other place I can think of is the Menin Gate Memorial.Flanders was one of 3 battles at Ypres.There are 1000's of names of British servicemen commemorated there who have no known graves.

Jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 March 07 23:43 BST (UK) »
 I found an aaron gofberg here. its ancestry.com
 a single record that i cant access. Is it possible for  someone who is a subscriber to take a look ??

http://landing.ancestry.com/slt/searchresults.aspx?html=ho&offerid=0:7797:0&sourcecode=7429&fn=aaron&ln=gofberg&submit.x=44&submit.y=14&o_xid=0039216201&o_lid=0039216201&o_xt=39216201

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 April 07 08:17 BST (UK) »
Soldiers remembered on the Menin Gate will - of course - also be on CWGC & SDGW (as far as I know).

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/