Author Topic: Grierson in Ruthwell  (Read 14074 times)

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grierson in Ruthwell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 April 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in Ruthwell if you want me to check any of the names on the gravestones, athough it looks like have quite a bit of info. from other websites.   Let me know what you want checked.
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
It would be absolutely brilliant if you could check the gravestones! It would just make me that bit more confident about everything fitting together and it would check that someone else reads the headstone in the same way I do!
The headstones I'm interested in are the ones on this link
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~dfsgal/
under Ruthwell church and I think the photo is on page four. I am particularly interested in the Griersons but any headstones that refer to any related Dicksons would also be very welcome ;D
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the delay in checking the Grierson headstones.
They are as follows:

Samuela Grierson in Ruthwell who died 11th Jan 1772 aged 27 years.  Also Catherine Dickson his spouse who died 24th Aug 1780 aged 37 years.   Also Isbaella Grierson spouse to Joseph Grierson in Priestside who died 12th Oct 1816 aged 42 years.  Also Joseph Grierson son who died at Lanton Moss 8th Dec. 1850 aged 95 years.

In memory of Samuel Grierson Farmer in Priestside who died 9th Jan 1855 aged 56 years. Aslo Mary and Robert, children of above who died in infancy and Margaret his daughter who died 20th Feb. 1861 aged 27 years.   Also MArgaret Underwood relict of the above died at Ayr 13th April, 1886 aged 77 years.  Also Jane daughter of above died at Ayr 21st Sept. 1886 aged 31 years.  Also Joseph Grierson farmer in Upper Priestside died 1st Jan 1892 aged 64 years.  Also George John Grierson youngest son of above died at Urana, N.S.W. 4th July 1904 aged 34 years. Also Margaret Landells relict of above Joseph Grierson died 10th Nov. 1911 aged 85 years.  Also William James Grierson farmer Priestside died at Rose Cottage, Annan 3rd Dec. 1923 aged 61 years.  Also his brother Sameul Grierson farmer Priestside died at Rose Cottage, Annan 28th June 1924 aged 64 years.   Both sons of the above.

In memory of Samuel Grierson in Priestside who died 1760 aged 24 years.  Also Janet Dickson his spouse who died 1780 aged 64 years.  Also Mary Bayiel  (or Baxiel) spouse to John Grierson in Ladyhall who died 2nd June 1815 aged 76 years.  Also said John Grierson who died at Ladyhall 26th day of July 1817 aged 81 years.
Erected by John Grierson their son.

Hope this helps clarify what is written on the stones.   There are various Dickson stones - any other info. on them would help.   One was a John Dickson in Summerfield died 1872.
Another was a Thomas Dickson in Denbieyett died 1862.  His spouse was Jane Paterson died 1869.
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 June 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
No the Joseph Grierson who married Isabella Grierson was the son of Samuel Grierson and Catherine Dickson. Joseph and Isabella were my ancestors. I can be found via the Dumfries and Galloway rootsweb mailing list. Irene

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 June 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
good morning irene,

big huge welcome to rootschat and a most welcoming post to this thread, it will certainly help to clear things up.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Regarding the Ladyhall Grierson gravestone, which is worded as follows

"In memory of Samuel Grierson in Priestside who died 1760 aged 24 years.  Also Janet Dickson his spouse who died 1780 aged 64 years.  Also Mary Bayiel  (or Baxiel) spouse to John Grierson in Ladyhall who died 2nd June 1815 aged 76 years.  Also said John Grierson who died at Ladyhall 26th day of July 1817 aged 81 years.
Erected by John Grierson their son"

I've seen closeups of this stone (I asked a local guy on findagrave to take some good, clear closeups, which he very kindly did) and the spouse of son John Grierson is Mary Baxter.

Also, there is a mistake on the stone. Not in the transcript of it, which is correct. The mistake is in the age at death of Samuel Grierson (24). He died in 1760 which puts his birth at c.1736. But that would be impossible because his son, John died in 1817 at the age of 81, so he was also born c.1736!!

This has always puzzled me because John had the stone erected for his father, and if his father's age was so glaringly wrong when freshly carved, why didn't he have it corrected?

I read somewhere that John's Will specified that he wanted to be buried with his father, so I can't imagine him saying "Ach it's okay, just leave it" when the mistake was pointed out.

Just thought I'd mention it because I'm a bit nerdy that way! 😁
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.