Author Topic: Malta burial 1871  (Read 1380 times)

Offline paul1868

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Malta burial 1871
« on: Friday 30 March 07 23:43 BST (UK) »
I have a GRO certificate stating that my ggrandmother Amelia Johnson aged 26 was buried at the Garrison in Malta on 24/3/1871.  When I ordered a death certificate showing cause of death I received another copy of the burial certificate.  These records are expensive to find and obtain and I have no money to waste on fruitless requests.
I want to know why she died and when how and with whom my 28-month-old grandmother Susannah Johnson got to England to be reared by a childless couple as Susannah Heywood.
Can anyone please tell me what GRO (or other) records might contain some or all of the information I want - chaplains reports perhaps?
My email is no longer working

Clarke, Duncan, Gray

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Malta burial 1871
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul and a Warm Welcome to Rootschat ;D

Sorry this reply is so short & sweet.  Time is not on my side at the mo

Check this site out!!!

http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Malta burial 1871
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 07 10:50 BST (UK) »
The army chaplains were not registrars. They recorded baptisms, marriages and burials as any other vicar in a church recorded church events in their registers.
Depending on the date that civil registration began in Malta you might be able to obtain a death certificate from the Maltese registry office (but that presumes British personnel who were connected with the army had their births and deaths registered locally). This website has the registry office contact details for Malta.

http://www.bmd-certificates.co.uk/gro.html

The website already given would have the local knowledge to advise on that.

If you great grandmother died of natural causes a death certificate is likely to be the only information concerning her death.
Adoption did not exist in legal terms in Britain until 1927. Adoptions pre that date were not the affair of the state and were private arrangements made between families. Children who were 'fostered' by families could also have passed through the local poor law unions who paid families to look after them.

What happened to Susannah's father? Did she have older siblings?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk