Author Topic: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?  (Read 46487 times)

Offline Lrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 July 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello my ancestors came from stokenchurch

I am trying to work out who the parents of my grand parents are,  My grand parents are Leonard Rogers and Rose Cripps,  It is possible but not confirmed that leonard Rogers may be son of George Rogers.  I found this discussion when searching for George.  Anybody here have any information that could help.  Thanks. 

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 July 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Lrog
George and Elizabeth certainly did have a son called Leonard - I couldn't trace him in the 1911 census so perhaps he moved out of High Wycombe?  The name Rose Cripps sounds familiar - did they marry in about 1910?  I wondered whether Leonard had been involved in WW1.  My grandfather (Albert William) served in the Ox and Bucks in Salonika.
regards
Beth

Offline Lrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 14 July 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
My grand dad died at the age of 29 from influernza and lived in high wycombe i have the death cert i am also a leonard named alfter him he died in 1918.   Takeing 29 from 1918 gave me the year he was born 1889 so down to the registration  office for a birth cert where i found George and Elizabeth but i am not sure this cert is right. 1910 sounds right for them to get married as he would be about 21.     WW1 i have no information.  All the best len.                                 

Offline gcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 July 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Beth, thanks for your earlier reply about our great-grandparents George & Elizabeth.  The name of Ann Edgeworth opened up a whole new line of investigation for me, wondering how a girl from Bibury met and married a man in Stokenchurch.  But then I found that her father John Edgeworth married a Maria Rogers...

Lrog, welcome to another g-g-child of George & Elizabeth! So now I learn that one of my grandfather Ted's brothers was Leonard.  Does either of you know if Lance Corporal George Edward Rogers (1887-1915) of 28 Brook St HW was also a brother?  He is remembered on the War Memorial at HW Hospital.  Thanks,

Offline Lrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 July 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
There is also 2 rogers on a memorial plaque at little marlow chuch for ww1 which i will try to find out who they are

Offline gcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 14 July 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Lrog, re Rogers at Little Marlow - not directly related I think....

http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/memorials.htm

But a fascinating website.

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 14 July 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Second Cousins!
If this George Rogers lived at 28, Brook Street, then he is undoubtedly one of our great-uncles - George and Elizabeth lived there from sometime in the 1900s until WW2. Another second cousin, Nellie Harvey, wrote about her childhood before she died and described a great number of the family living under that roof in the 1920s.  The census returns show George (Snr) and Elizabeth living in Ibstone 1881, living on Copstone Hill, Ibstone (1891), Moved to Downley 1893 (ish) Living in Plomer Green Lane, Downley according to 1901 census, although the cottages known to Nellie Harvey as her mother’s birthplace are now classified as Littleworth Road and are, amazingly, still there. Moved to 28, Brook Street , HW between 1901 and 1911. George (according to my aunt who was a Rogers) worked at nightwatchman during WW2 and played the accordion.
In total there were 11 siblings - Mary Ann (Annie), Thomas, Elizabeth (Lizzie) (emigrated to Australia in 1905), George Edward, Robert (I can't find anything about Robert, although a Robert Rogers had a furniture workshop in Green Street in 1924), Leonard, Daisy, Ellen, Albert William, Edward (Ted), Alfred Ernest (Ernie) and Dorothy (Doll).

re: Ann Edgeworth and Maria Rogers - Maria was born in Burford in Oxfordshire, but because there are no census returns before 1841, I can't trace whether Ann and Joseph were cousins. It seems probably that they were at least second cousins. Maria's father was James Rogers. Joseph Rogers was in service in Gloucestershire - I read that the gentry liked their servants to come from a different county to minimise the effect of their gossip!

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 14 July 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Len,
Sorry I missed your earlier posting. What a tragedy that your grandfather died so young. I've read that the influenza epidemic of 1918-1919 killed more people that WW1. Have you tried freebmd for the marriage date?
Regards
Beth

Offline gcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 15 July 12 17:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Beth,
Thanks for all this fascinating information.  I'm becoming aware that I'm talking to someone who must have spent a lot of time, and a lot of effort (and probably a bit of money) researching and gathering so much info about the Rogers family, and so I feel a little uneasy trying to pick your brains with the 101 questions I might like to ask!

But I hope you'll let me ask two more questions specifically about my grandpa Ted: firstly, you mention Nellie Harvey's reminiscences about Brook Street in the 1920's, I wonder whether there are any interesting references to Ted and Hilda's marriage in August 1924?  Secondly, as I've said before I knew many of Hilda's siblings well, but I don't recall any mention, ever, of any of Ted's - as far as I was concerned he might as well have been an only child.  And yet I knew him quite well - even stayed with him for a month in 1970 shortly before he died.  So I wonder whether you're aware of him distancing himself from the family for some reason, or perhaps the family distanced itself from him, or perhaps by the 1960's he was the sole surviving sibling?
Best wishes, Graham