Author Topic: Use GRO certificates  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Use GRO certificates
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 April 07 22:51 BST (UK) »
Actually, one of the earlier posters had a great idea which would make this so much easier.

Now, where can I find a good medium or shall I try an upturned wine glass on the table?

Is anybody there????????
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline w105uk aka Margi :-)

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • is back from hols :-( and back at work :-(
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 April 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
I suppose if we ordered certificates for every marriage etc.....

then the good old GRO would be feeling very chuffed  ;D ;D

research needs to be a good mix of everything........... ;) ;)

off to the library tomorrow to check out their Ancestry
Brook,Suffolk, London,Nottingham. <br />Goodchild, Suffolk<br />Boreham,Suffolk<br />Youngman, Suffolk, Australia<br />Day, Suffolk<br />Beckett, Suffolk<br />Last, Suffolk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 April 07 07:42 BST (UK) »
Something I have been concerned with too, buying certificates. I always buy births and marriages and deaths for my ancestors.
but do you buy certificates for your ancestors brothers and sisters, births and marriages...
and do you buy death certificates, ancestors and siblings?
I have a new index, in it I can find the birth dates of my ancestors brothers and sisters, but they are not absolute, I have found the GRO index that I believe to be the correct one, the index then confirms that b ygiving me the information of when the book was compiled, so I have John xxx, GRO March 1876, M.T.  11a  478, (fictional)  the Index,   - John xx, Mothers surname - xxx, District M.T.U, Book from 11 Dec 1875 -  10 Apr 1876, but there may be more than one with the same Mothers surname! especially in Wales with Thomas and Jenkins etc
would you still buy the cert?
newbie ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 April 07 08:06 BST (UK) »
I try to buy certificates for the siblings where I can find them....

I have discovered through this when the family moved to different houses (within the same town).....a daughter on the 1901 census listed as Rachel (for some reason)...was actually registered as Margaret.....

Another birth certificate gave me the father's army details.....

AND.....one baby was registered almost a year after her birth...so it is wrong to assume that if the child is shown as born in the June quarter, for example, that they were born within the previous three months!

Death certificates have given me unexpected details too.....my great great grandmother shown on every census as 'wife'...was shown on her death certificate as 'a registered midwife'...leading to a whole new area of research.
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 April 07 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kathy, I have bought some of the siblings, especially where I also found a death for the child, (I bought both) a) to confirm they were from the same family and b) to see why the death occurred, as you say you can gather a lot more evidence on where they lived and occupations from the certificate,
I have just started to buy birth certificates for siblings (who didn't die young) but I'll have to start saving hard because there are so many! then there are their marriages, I see a path to ruin...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 April 07 08:30 BST (UK) »
....but it's worth it !!!

Also...addicitive !

I have started exploring the history of our house...and now have to have certificates for people who lived/died here etc......

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 April 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have the birth and marriage certificates for all my ancestors but only the death certificates where I specifically needed them.  I also have a few siblings' certificates where I needed them to help with the chase.

However I also have a large number of certificates which I have "swapped" with cousins.  It really depends on whether additional certificates are likely to add significantly to your knowledge of the family.  Where a family didn't move around and were a stable family a birth certificate will give you little beyond a more precise date and is hardly worth it.  In other cases there will be a wealth of information.  It is a matter of judgement.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 April 07 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have a spreadsheet in Excel where I put in the details of all the certificates I would like, for future reference to order.

The other day I counted them all up, currently I have £350 worth that I would like to order!

I don't think so!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 April 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thats a fortnight on the Costa del Something !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk