Author Topic: Kew research  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kew research
« on: Monday 02 April 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
May I make an appeal for help from all you boys who are military buffs?

Later on in the year I am going to Kew and would like to find information on three family members, two who were in WW1 and one in the Boer War.  I know nothing about the one in the Boer War apart from birth and death but with the WW1 pair I have quite a lot of info.

I know their Regiments, Ranks, Service Nos and have their medal cards.  What I would like to know is what else I can search for, to fill in as much information about them as possible, without wasting a lot of time. e.g. can I get their medical records and service records if they weren't amongst those that were lost.

Any guidance on how and what to search for would be very much appreciated.
The main two are my grandfather and his half brother.

Tuscany
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kew research
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Assuming their service records survived you can find them. There are leaflets telling you how to do this and staff will help but - BROADLY - you look your man's surname up in an a-z index and this refers you to roll of microfilm(s). You load these up in viewers and plod through until (hopefully) you find the one you want.

Worth checking the Battalion war diary too - they are in WO95 - every unit sent overseas will have one. May not name your man but will tell you what the unit did day by day. Also relevant Brigade and Division diaries may be worth a look.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Bernard.  I need all the help I can get so that I don't waste the time.

Tuscany
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tuscany

For those who survived thro' the wars there should be pension records, demob records and perhaps medical records too!!!

I'm sure if "themonsstar" sees your post he can advise you further.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 19:18 BST (UK) »
Using the National Archives you could try and pre-order or at least take a note with you of which files you think or know you will want (certainly the War Diaries) - much better than thrashing around the indexes during the visit when time is at a premium. I must say though that I don't find the NA site very intuitive.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
Wendi

What about the one we know who didn't survive the war? What else is there to discover about him?  Would there be medical records, or service records of where he was during the short time he was involved.

Tuscany

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tuscany,

There's a book by  Stella Colwell, 'The National Archives : a practical guide for family historians'  2006; which gives lots of practical advice about how to research at Kew.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 07 16:48 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the National Archives' research guides on the subject.  There's one on soldiers' papers from the First World War:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18

And this one may help with the soldier in the Boer War:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

When looking for Army records it's important to try and establish when someone may have left the army, as that's how the records are stored.  For example, if someone served in the Boer War and then went on into the First World War, all his records (if they survived) would be with the First World War collection.

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 April 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou everyone,

I've taken a bit of a break from the computer and have just read the replies.

Bernard, you have referred to 'thrashing around' and this is just what I want to avoid.

Ruth,  the one in the Boer war died from disease in 1912, contracted during the time in Africa.  The other died of wounds in1915 and I would dearly love to discover what they did during their respective wars.  They were brothers.

Tuscany.