Author Topic: Kew research  (Read 2966 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kew research
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
The WW1 service records are a bit hit and miss but you may be lucky.  The ones that survived (about a third) are on microfilm.It's really easy - you look up the name in a  book which tells you which bit of film to look at, get it from the drawer yourself and then just spool through (more or less) alphabetically until you get to the name you want.  There may be a few with the same name but with regiment/number info  you can soon spot the right one.  Sometimes there is only the original attestation paper from when they enlisted which gives basic info of address, next of kin, birth place and apparent age (not always true!).  It may also list where he was sent and on what dates, any medals etc.  Sometimes it lists any bad behaviour which can be interesting.   It may have copies of the death notice telegram and correspondence with Next of Kin regarding medals and return of belongings.  And one I saw the other day had an eye witness account of the way someone died which was used to confirm the death in the absence of a body.

For the 1912 one you can do the same thing in another set of microfilm in the Pensions records (if he retired or was pensioned out).  You could try searching online under his name at http://www.a2a.org.uk/   (click on global search) which might tell you if he is listed there and give you the microfilm number to look at.

Or you could look through boxes of the actual original papers. Ask at the info desk and someone will be able to guide you through ordering these up. It's a bit complex and you often need to know the particular regiment you are looking for.

You could also try looking in a book called National Roll of Honour which lists a random selection of Soldiers who served (living or killed).  Divided by regions in England it is held in the reference library bit.  I couldn't find one of mine in the microfilm as it no longer existed but was lucky enough to find a paragraph of info on him in the book

Hope that helps
Have fun :) :) :)

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Kew research
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 01:40 BST (UK) »
You may also be as lucky as I was....

Whilst researching my grandfather at the PRO, I looked for his Attestation Sheet...It has not yet been microfilmed and was in a box file, which I was lucky enough to be able to actually hold...He enlisted in 1896 and served in South Africa throughout the Boer War....

Underneath his to my great surprise was my great uncles, whom we didn't even know had served!!! He enlisted in 1892, and spent 12 yrs in India.

I think I'm the only serving soldier with a grandfather who served in the Boer War!!!!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.