Author Topic: 1901 census - WA  (Read 4871 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census - WA
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
Could someone help me out please.  I am looking to find out if Godfrey Moore b: 1866 in Picton was on this census.  I know he fought in the Boer War and sometime after 1901 went to South Africa to live.  I don't know if he took a wife with him, but there is a reference to another woman (South African) being the surviving partner of a marriage to Godfrey Moore.
He was my grandfather's brother and I would like a bit more information on him.
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census - WA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you seen the digitised copy of his record in the Boer war?
http://www.naa.gov.au/

It states that his mother in Western Autralia was his Next of Kin and that he was a prospecter.
There is not a surviving census for WA in 1901 [or any Australian state

When do you think he married?  I do not see a marriage recorded in WA
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 06:37 BST (UK) »
Should add that on his attestation paper, he first says YES he is married then crosses it out and says NO he is not.

There is something I cannot decipher on the same line????
Sue

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Nil for 1901 Electoral Roll for Wa.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparrett & OzyBob.
Thanks for that, but being a little 'slow on the uptake' once I have gone to the site you mentioned, how do I access the digitalised copy of his record.  It somehow makes him a person now though, doesn't it?
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 08:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry Bev,
Wasn't sure where abouts you were in your search.

Go to site>record search>search as guest>'keywords'>godfrey moore>search.>display>
His is the first on the page.
click View digital copy.

It is only 2 pages, but useful.

He left for his service in S. Africa in 1902
West Australian BMD has lots of his siblings births.
http://www.justice.wa.gov.au
Sue

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi both,
That is making this man seem alive to me now, as I also have him shown as going to the Boer War (Private No. 115) with the 1st  WAmounted infantry (contingent) as well.  He left WA 7/11/1899 and arrived back on 29/12/1900.  I have found out that he was a policeman from 5/3/1901 to 12/12/1901.  With regard to being married; I cannot find a marriage over here, so perhaps he was 'living in sin' had an argument and decided to go back to South Africa, or perhaps he had met someone over there the 1st time!
But I am very happy to be getting somewhere at last with this man.
Bev

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev
Found this ref on South Africa Archives site
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   SOURCE    MHG                                                                   TYPE      LEER                                                                  VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     SYSTEM    01                                                                    REFERENCE 4762/57                                                               PART      1                                                                     DESCRIPTION          JACOBS, MARIA PETRONELLA. BORN VORSTER. FORMERLY MOORE.               STARTING  19570000                                                              ENDING    19570000                                                              REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE PETRUS JOHANNES FRANCOIS JACOBS. PREDECEASED SPOUSE             GODFREY MOORE.

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?2007040310295244B9824B%26DB%3DRSAE
TAB stands for -
 National Archives Repository (Public Records of former Transvaal Province and its predecessors as well as of magistrates and local authorities)

MHG
 Master of the Supreme Court, Pretoria. Estates (1873-1976) (On NAAIRS until 1975
 Hope this helps -don't know how you actually get your hands on these records.I would love to know myself .
Annie

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,
This is the two links for you on Godfrey Moore there one is for the View digital thats the first one Bev.

the link for View digital
http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=685356&I=1&SE=1

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=7

Name: [/b]Godfrey Moore
Born: 1866/9634
at Picton
Father: Alfred Moore.
Mother: Louisa Flaherty
Alfred Moore and Louisa Flaherty
Married[/b]
1853/505.
Picton[/b]
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.