Author Topic: William Tyrrell - soldier in 1843  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Tyrrell - soldier in 1843
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Clicking further on the IGI - which is an index - will not verify the  information you need - the father's occupation, which is in the actual baptism records of East Clandon and Great Bookham so you can try to verify that Henry and George were brothers.

Jane Terrells parents were John and Mary!

JANE TERRELL 
Christening:  17 JUL 1817   Saint Mary, Guildford, Surrey
Father:  JOHN TERRELL 
Mother:  MARY     

They have other children baptised at St. Mary Guildford from 1811-1822. They are in Guildford on the 1841 census with their youngest child. John was a labourer.

There will be plenty of marriages of William Thomases to Elizabeths. Thomas is the 8th most common surname in the country - so thousands of them.

As I already said the IGI has limited coverage of Surrey, so about as much chance of finding an entry as not finding one.
I have given you the reference for a much more comprehensive index. Local library's have fiche machines so a fiche you purchase can be viewed at a library. However like the IGI it is an index and sooner or later the actual parish registers held in county record offices are necessary to see for further details.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynnesl0t

• RootsChat Extra
  • alice west my great grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: William Tyrrell - soldier in 1843
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Valda for your help!
I shall study the info and the site you have recommended,
Lynne
Watts, Hardy, Richards, West, Bennett, Robson,Nelmes.Suffolk, Devon, Yorkshire and London