Author Topic: Marriage Look Up Please  (Read 1753 times)

Offline lostdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Look Up Please
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble finding a marriage for William Swift and Elizabeth Pink / Young.
Elizabeth was born to Isabella Pink who wasn't married at the time,she later married a David Young and in the 1861 census Elizabeth was noted as Young.
I believe Elizabeth could have married under the "Young" name as she was noted on my Grandfather's death certificate as "Young", but on the children's birth certificates she was registered as "Pink".
The time frame I am looking at is between the 1861 census and when their first known child Mary Elizabeth was born on the 4 th November 1867 in York.
Elizabeth was born in 1849 at Maryport Cumberland and William in 1842 in Whiston Lancashire.
Audrey

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.
All the BMDs are free to search on www.ancestry.co.uk   Ignore the main search box and scroll down until you see the link on the right hand side.  You can then search each page of the index quarter by quarter.  It will take some time but with luck you should find it.  You cross reference each possible entry by looking to see if the other half is there with the same reference number.
FreeBMD is also worth a look as it may be on there - saves a lot of searching.  Try going beyond the first child just in case!  They are unlikely to have married until Elizabeth was a reasonable age so if she was born in 1849 starting at 1861 may be a bit early.
Andrea