Author Topic: Registering a birth?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Registering a birth?
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was there a time limit for registering a birth?  I am looking at someone born in 1871 who wasn't registered until 1872 (I think there may have been some confusion over the father!!)  Although the delay was only a few months, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the birth had to be registered within a certain number of months - or have I just dreamed this up!!!!

KPM

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Online C P Rayson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi KPM

I am pretty sure the limit was 6 weeks so infact a child born late November may appear in the GRO index for March quarter the following year

Hope this helps

Chris
Rayson, Anywhere

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Thanks for the info - She was born late November 1871 and registered 1st January 1872 which would have been just inside the 6 weeks.

Glad I didn't imagine it!!!!

Anne-Marie (KPM)
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:23 BST (UK) »
See http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm
In the early days the parents had 3 weeks to register in and could not register at all after 3 months. After a while this was changed to 6 weeks to register in, a late registration could be made up to a year after the birth if the superintendent took the information and signed the register too, and registration could not take place after 1 year without reference to GRO.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
Thanks for the link - I haven't come across this site before and it looks really interesting so I'm off to have a good read.

Thank you for your help

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
See http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm
In the early days the parents had 3 weeks to register in and could not register at all after 3 months..

Colin

That is not correct! The wording of the 1836 Act is
XX. And be it enacted, That the Father or Mother of every child born in England after the said First Day of March, or in case of the Death, Illness, Absence, or Inability of the Father or Mother, the Occupier of the House or Tenement in which such Child shall have been born, shall, within Forty-two Days next after the Day of every such Birth, give Information, upon being requested so to do, to the said Registrar, according to the best of his or her Knowledge and Belief, of the several Particulars hereby required to be known and registered touching the Birth of such Child.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan

Thanks for that.  This particular birth was registered after 6 weeks but I will remember for future reference the 6 weeks rather than 3.

Thanks again
Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
As to Registry after the Expiration of 42 Days from Birth of Child.
XXII. And be it enacted, That after the Expiration of Forty-two Days following the Day of the Birth of any Child it shall not be lawful for any Registrar to register such Birth, save as herein-after is next mentioned; provided that, in case the Birth of any Child shall not have been registered according to the Provisions herein-before contained, it shall be lawful for any Person present at the Birth of such Child, or for the Father or Guardian thereof, at any Time within Six Calendar Months next after the Birth, to make a solemn Declaration of the Particulars required to be known touching the Birth of such Child, according to the best of his or her Knowledge and Belief, and it thereupon be lawful for the said Registrar then and there, in the Presence of the Superintendent Registrar, to register the Birth of the said Child according to the Information of the Person making the said Declaration; and in every such Case the Superintendent Registrar before whom the said Declaration is made shall sign the Entry of Birth as well as the registrar, and for every such Registry as last aforesaid the Superintendent Registrar shall be entitled to have a Fee of Two Shillings and Sixpence from the Person requiring the same to be registered; and the Registrar, over and above the Fee herein-after enacted in respect of every birth registered by him, shall be entitled, unless the Delay shall have been occasioned by his Default, to have a Fee of Five Shillings from the person requiring the same to be registered; and no Register of Births shall be given in Evidence to prove the Birth of any Child wherein it shall appear that Forty-two Days have intervened between the Day of the Birth and the Day of the Registration of the Birth of such Child, unless the Entry shall be signed by the Superintendent Registrar; and every person who shall knowingly register or cause to be registered the Birth of any Child, otherwise than herein-before is last mentioned, after the Expiration of Forty-two Days following the Day of Birth of such Child, shall forfeit and pay for every such Offence a Sum not exceeding Fifty Pounds.
Births not to be registered after Six Months.
XXIII. And be it enacted, That after the Expiration of Six Calendar Months following the Birth of any Child it shall not be lawful for any Registrar to register the Birth of such Child, and no Register of Births, except in the Case of Children born at Sea, shall be given in Evidence to prove the Birth of any Child wherein it shall appear that Six Calendar Months have intervened between the Day of the Birth and the Day of the Registration of the Birth of such Child; and every Person who shall knowingly register or cause to be registered the Birth of any Child after the Expiration of Six Calendar Months following the Day of the Birth of such Child shall forfeit and pay for every such Offence a Sum not exceeding Fifty Pounds. http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/Browse?path=Browse/Legislation%20(by%20date)&active=yes&treestate=contract&titlepos=0

Stan

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Of course, if you didn't register the birth within six weeks, you massaged the date of birth to make it fit.

I have a baptism on 16th March which states the DoB as 25th January ... however, when the birth was registered on 31st March, the DoB was given as 20th February.