Author Topic: James Langridge  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ktjp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Langridge
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 15:23 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents of James Langridge who was born in Tunbridge Wellls, Kent about 1824, although one census has him born 1831. He was living with Alice Clout/Langridge until she married someone else in about 1884. They had several children and I know something of her ancestry, but  I can't seem to find anything more about him! Can anyone help?
Kent: Groves, Langridge, Burfoot, Weller, Rugman
Norfolk: Oughton, Bailey, Senter, Boadwell
Lincolnshire: South, Espin
Yorkshire: Denby, Boocock
Lancashire: Derbyshire
Wales:Davies, Lloyd, Hughes

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: James Langridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 16:07 BST (UK) »
Could this possibly be him  ???

IGI

James Langridge born 9.6.1819  baptised 27.6.1819
Mount Ephraim - Lady Huntingdon, Tonbridge Wells.

Father Thomas mother Rebeckah.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  Can you quote a census reference or two so that we can be sure we have the right person?  Naming patterns for children often indicate who parents might be.  The more information you can give the better.
The IGI does not cover the Tunbridge Wells churches for that particular time frame so you may need to get the film of the register to search at your nearest LDs centre if you are not near the record office.
Andrea

Offline ktjp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help - it might be him, but the birth date is a little early. The sources I have for him so far (and I hope I'm quoting the right thing - I'm new to this!) are - 1861 census: RG9/493/9 p 24.
1871 census: RG10/932/10 p 12
1881 census: RG11/918/59 p2
1891 census: RG12/682/173 p 15

There is at least one, possibly two other James Langridge's around at the same time but neither are the one I'm looking for.: in the 1871 census they are at: RG10/928/115 P42 and RG9/491/34 p 29
In 1881 one of them is at : RG11/913/60 p 25  His year of birth is given as 1819, so he is probably the son of Thomas and Rebeka.

Hope this all makes sense!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
There is an unmarried James Langridge in 1851 HO107 1614 F323 p15.   He is living with a Jane Ballast?? (can't read it) and her son William age 5 months so it may be him.  Starting as he means to go on!
There are a couple of possibles in 1841.  I searched on James Lan* and it brought up a few odd transcriptions.
I think you will have to search the parish registers though.  His daughter is called Emily and that is quite an unusual name so it might be a clue - unless it is from Alice's side.
Andrea

Offline ktjp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea - I've already had a rootle about in the parish records and there are a couple of possible families. One, which includes an Emily, had what looks like Jane baptised in 1824. It's possible that 'Jane' was James poorly written!
I'll keep hunting!
Katie