Author Topic: help to find owners of album [pre 1850 ]  (Read 4396 times)

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
help to find owners of album [pre 1850 ]
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
I found in my late grandmothers possessions , an album which dates from before 1850, no-one mentioned in it is an ancestor of mine, so can only think it was kept as it is so pretty.
the only name places mentioned are St. Ives and St. john's park.
the book was owned by alice ? who must of been a girl  in 1850 aged about 16-21.
other names mentioned are MARY MEE?E , A.E. TEBBUTT , ELIZA MARY , ? ULPH ,
WILLIAM OR JAMES BENJAMIN TODD.
It is possible alice's surname was robson, or that she married a robson as there is a postcard from the louvre dated 1874, with the name alice robson written on the back.
does anything ring a bell with anyone ?
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: help to find owners of album [pre 1850 ]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
Not much help (so far) but here are some name checks

70 Alice's b 1820-1840 (ref 1851 census)

There is one pair of brothers William and James TODD in Huntingdon St.Mary aged 14 & 10 in the 1851 Censi.

There is a Mary MEESE (b 1813) resident in Alwalton.

There is an Angelina TEBBUTT (b 1824) resident in Stilton.

No suitable marriages in Huntingdonshire of a ROBSON to an Alice - but 97 nationwide between 1850 & 1874 (inc - source FreeBMD).
CHURCH & LUSHER (Peterborough) BARLOW, THOMPSON, PARKINSON (Hunts/Cambs)
GIBBONS, STEWART, WILLIAMS (Liverpool) DARE (Liverpool & Jersey)

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 07:52 BST (UK) »
hi oleg
yes i  have seen the todd bros. but the handwriting is so beautiful in a dedication TODD  has written to alice , i find it hard to believe a teenager in those days could have written it unless they had had a very good education, which going by the occp. of family i do not think they had.
many thanks for trying
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
Chloed - is there anyway you could scan some of the writing - particularly any names?

Blindingly obvious question - how have you dated the book at around or before 1850?

this looks like a particularly interesting search!

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
there is a lot of poetry in the album, hand written in ink,all beautifully done, and the poems are signed or initialed and dated, most are dedicated to alice, there also some pencil landscapes and a tiny posy tied and pressed.below is just 1 extract

to dear alice
though many a joy around thee smile
and many a faithful heart you meet
where love may cheer life o' dreary way
and turn the bitter to a sweet

let memory sometimes lead thou back,
to other days almost forgot
and when you think of other friends
who love you well "forget me not "

signed A .E. tebbutt  09/12/1851

i just wish it was my ancestors book, but sadly no, i won"t give up trying to find a link somewhere, if "alice" was my ancestor i would love it.
cant do the scanning thing as have'nt got one.
regards chloe

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
every time i try various searches i keep coming across

Ann Elizabeth TEBBUTT b. Bluntisham, c 1829. [Baptist]

I can find her family (I assume) in Earith in 1841 Census with the following family:

Jonas (father) c 40
Ellen (wife) c 30
William (son) c 15
Ann (dau) c 12
Jonas (son) c 10
Emma (dau) c 3

they are living in New Lock House by "independent means" - which looks promising.

weird thing is i can't seem to track them in any subsequent census - but there are some candidates within BMD - a Jonas Tebbutt d. in Kensington 1876 aged 74.

frustrating.

shame you can't do the scan thing - normally a.n.other eyes read script completely differently. I'm sure someone would make the names out easily!

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 08:45 BST (UK) »
have you seen the ulph family in st ives 1851, there is a john ulph aged 19 working for his dad, who is an ironmonger i think .
I reckon john could be the artist as there is a faint j as an initial, the drawing is dated 1851.

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
same John is an ironmonger in 1861 (partner to his dad).

funny - i hadn't considered ULPH a proper name - just a really difficult transcription!