Author Topic: SEARCHING FOR DONNAR  (Read 861 times)

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SEARCHING FOR DONNAR
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am searching in Kent for the name Donnar, my G.G.G. Grandmother, born in Ireland (got this from the 1841 and rest census returns)
she married  at the Parish Church of Chatham and moved with her husband to Bedford. I have searched many web site inc. Ancestry and cannot find any more Donnars or could it be Donnagh or similar she was born 1795, I do not know of any reason why her family would move from Ireland to Kent. the potato famine came much later.
Does any one have any thoughts........

Caz

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCHING FOR DONNAR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Caz

Is this her marriage (9 Oct 1816 Chatham St Mary)?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eg/

If so, like most people at that time, she was illiterate so the clergy would have written her name as it sounded .................... is DONNAGH pronounced as DONNAR?

Chatham was a naval and military base so I wonder if there could be a military connection somewhere :-\

Casalgujidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCHING FOR DONNAR
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes the date is her marriage, the Chatham connection was the man she married my G.G.G. Grandfather, he was born in Bedford but was in the army and fought and was wounded at the Battle of Waterloo and was discharged to Chatham, I presume this is where he met her and married her and they both returned to Bedford.
and yes Donnagh is pronounced the same as Donnar or Donner

Caz