Author Topic: Joseph BARROW marriage to Marie EUSTACHE  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph BARROW marriage to Marie EUSTACHE
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
hi there

Can anybody find a marriage fo these two please. 

marie eustache, according to CI census was born around 1852ish - parents jean and Honorine

I cannot find a marriage for these two.....Arthur Walter Barrow was born in 1875 so that should narrow it down

If the marriage is found, can you tell me where either of them were born and when please?

thank you in advance?

Phil

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph BARROW marriage to Marie EUSTACHE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I can look this one up next week (the Archive Centre is closed until Tuesday). Just a couple of questions. I take it Arthur was their son? Was he born in Jersey?

In the 1881 census, coincidentaly I can see a Mary Barrow, born in France in 1852, living in St Helier with a son called Joseph Barrow, aged 2 - but no mention of an Arthur or a Joseph senior. Mary is still recorded as "married".

Get back to you next week with the marriage details if I can find them!

Stewart

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart - I have subsequently has a searcher find the marriage - 5/4/1874

The problem i have now, apart from trying to ascertain Joseph's mother (he was born in India...father Robert and Uncle Ralph were Provost Sergeants), is finding out what happened to Joseph and Marie's (yes, it is Mary) other sons......

Francis Ralph Barrow was born 9 April 1877 in St Helier
Joseph Henry Barrow was born 11 December 1878 - I think he died aged 4

AND......what happened to Joseph the father!!!!

Mary ended up in Plymouth, I know that but Joseph??

As for Robert, Joseph's father, i don't know.........Ralph, the Uncle got reposted to Jersey.

Ralph had two daughters born in Jersey -- Ada in 1858 and Louisa 1856 - Anyway you couuld find their birth details with witnesses??

If you could find the above information Stewart, I'd be very appreciative

Phil     

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

OK, I found the death of Francis Ralph Barrow. His entry is in the index for the Parish of St. Helier, July 1876 to April 1878 on page 55.

I can find the death of a Joseph Barrow which again is in St. Helier, February 1883 to October 1884 on page 17. Now which Joseph is this?? Note there is no second name mentioned.

I also found the death of Ralph Barrow, St. Helier, October 1884 to March 1886 on page 39.

Ada Barrow was born St. Helier, 13th December 1856 to 19th September 1858 on page 58 and Louisa was born St. Helier, 28th August 1854 to 19th October 1855 on page 82.

There are a couple of admission records for the General Hospital for a Joseph Barrow. I only had time to look at the 1880 one but it appears he was admitted 3rd February 1880 with bronchitis and discharged 12th March 1880 He was 34 years old and was born in Madras.

I also stumbled across the death of a Bridget Barrow as well if that name should crop up.

Stewart

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart - thank you so much for your time.

I think that joseph who has died in his son - sad that both sons died as toddlers....

Bridget is Joseph's Uncle (brother of Joseph's Dad Robert) - I knew Joseph snr was born in India - i now know where.

i have a feeling Joseph snr died at a youngish age - he didn't seem too well there did he....

I may have to spend some time there i think in the Autumn perhaps

thanks again and best wishes
Phil

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 07 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart (especially...)

i had a letter from The British Library

They had found a Joseph Ralph Barrow born 2/2/1846 and baptised 8/3/1846 in Poonamalle (a village near Madras) - father was Ralph Barrow and wife Bridget!!!!!!

Ralph is listed as Store Sergeant in HM's 15th Hussars...........

I beginning to wonder if the original info I was given is indeed wrong...........

Can you find a marriage yourself for Joseph B and Marie Eustache 5/4/1874 in St Saviour, Jersey?

Another clue is that in 1871 Ontario, Canada census, Joseph is listed as of Irish origin........I know that Bridget Barrow (nee Fitzpatrick was born in Cork, Ireland.

Phil 

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Yes, I can confirm there is a marriage in the St Saviour's index, volume Jan 1872 - Nov 1874 on page 78. Both parties are mentioned.

I had to draw out the tree as I had lost the plot!

I mentioned that I had seen the death of a Bridget Barrow ( and assumed it was a female) and you said it was Joseph's uncle. In your last entry you say Bridget Barrow was nee Fitzpatrick. Are they the same people?? Also, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the 1871 Canada Census entry.

Just as a matter of interest, what part of the world are you in?

Stewart

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

I'm in Plymouth, Devon

Father/Grandfather were born here but Great-G was born in Jersey - Arthur is the son of Joseph - it seems as if Joseph is the son of Ralph Barrow and Bridget Fitzpatrick - I have been sent a copy of the register entry in Poonamallee, in India. Ralph was serving in India and got transferred to Jersey in early 1850s - he was born in Bolton........

i was originally told that Robert Barrow was the father of Joseph but it seems as if Ralph is....Bridget is therefore not Joseph's Aunt but his mother!!!

I found a Joseph Barrow in the Ontario census when searching through Ancestry - it states he was born in India so i guess it's the same one! His ethnic origin is described as IRISH so again that ties in as Bridget was born in Cork, Ireland..........

Thanks for all your efforts Stewart - wish I could thank you......

Phil