Author Topic: Edinburgh, John Hislop  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Jim G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh, John Hislop
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on John Hislop, born about 1800, believed to married Alison Lydell. One know child James John Henry Hislop born 12 Oct 1824. James was transported to West Australia and married Bridget Mulqueen they had 11 children. James always referred to himself as Edinburgh James.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh, John Hislop
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 07 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim G,

Did find confirmation that a James John Henry Hislop was tried at Dover then sent to Australia on the Pyrenees ship in 1849. Parents were John and Alison Hislop. he was a Clerk and died in Bunbury 23 Oct 1909.

Are you sure this is the correct one?

In the 1851 census in Restalrig, Edinburgh I have
John Hislop 30 b 1821 Musselburgh Occ - Gardener Journeyman
Alison Hislop 26 b 1825 Edinburgh wife
James Hislop 2 b 1849 South Leith, Edinburgh

Can this be the family or is it too late?

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

I too saw that entry on the 1851 index, it all would seem to fit doesn't it!

There is though a submitted entry on IGI which has James marrying in Australia in 1853:

James John Henry Hislop  21 OCT 1824 Scotland
Death:  23 OCT 1909      
Parents: Father: John Hislop    Mother: Allison Lydell    
Marriages: Spouse: Bridget Mulqueen    
Marriage:  06 OCT 1853  Picton Junction, Western Australia, Australia

There are no deaths showing for an Alison Lydell/Hislop (with * for wildcards) post 1855.

Jim, do you have any more personal info re your James from either his MC or DC in Australia, e.g, father's occupation, of the 11 children, were there any middle names used that might provide some further clues etc.

Also, have you managed to get a hold of James's trial/conviction documents which might include any more info on his family roots?

Regards.

Monica

PS: Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica & Jim G

The John and Alison that I found have an extracted record of marriage (shares my anniversary date, not the year)

John Hislop married Alison Bennet 17 Aug 1849 South Leith Midlothian.

Posted just in case bennet used as a middle name.

Tom B
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim and Tom

Just picking up the refs. from Tom re the 1849 conviction of James and transportation from Dover Kent.

I cannot see any James Hislops that fit in the 1841 Census in Scotland but there is one potential entry that may fit James in the 1841 Census in England given that he was in the army at the time of his arrest and conviction:

James Hislop, 20, soldier
Address: Barracks and Hospitals, Canterbury, Kent, England

Regards.

Monica

Offline Jim G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. James John Henry Hislop is the Hislop that was on the Pyrenees. His death certificate shows he married at the age of 26 on 6th October 1853. At the time of his death on 23 Oct 1909 his age is shown as 85 years. This would put his birth at around 1824 or maybe 27. On his death certificate his father is shown as John Hislop and his mother as Allison Lydell. Apparently James was most passionate about being the Edinburgh man. I have an unpublished manuscript on his life that is called "I'm an Edinburgh Man".
Children of James were Maria Esther, James John Henry, William, Thomas, Walter Cook, Henry, Rachel, Alfred, Bertha Louise, Maud Rebecca, Alisa Augusta. Note there is no Allison.
Regards
Jim G

Offline Jim G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 07 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I am quite new at this, I did post a reply to you and Tom, but I am not sure I did it correctly. Could you let me know if you received it. It appears that you are on line at the moment.

Hi Jim and Tom

Just picking up the refs. from Tom re the 1849 conviction of James and transportation from Dover Kent.

I cannot see any James Hislops that fit in the 1841 Census in Scotland but there is one potential entry that may fit James in the 1841 Census in England given that he was in the army at the time of his arrest and conviction:

James Hislop, 20, soldier
Address: Barracks and Hospitals, Canterbury, Kent, England

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I am here  :)

I think the problem Tom and I are having is finding any reference to James other than what we have posted. Cannot see anything in the 1841 Census for a John and Alison, nor is there any death showing for an Alison Lydell/Hislop post 1855 in Scotland (easier to search for women with both maiden name and married name).

The closest I could see to James was the entry on the 1841 census with a soldier James in Kent.

There are also no children showing for a John and Alison on the Old Parish Registers (James entry on IGI is a submitted entry).

Have you managed to find any documents relating to James's trial and conviction? These documents can sometimes throw up additional personal info.

Regards.

Monica

Offline Jim G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I have a little more but like most things relating to James and Scotland it may not be accurate. One of my family has suggested that maybe James' parents weren't married at the time of his birth. His fathers surname may have been Jamieson and James was reared by the Hislop's (His mother may have married a Hislop after the birth of James) In 1849 James wrote a letter that stated his parents were respectable people living in the south of Scotland. There appears to have been a Jamieson who was a solicitor and a there was a solicitor under the name of Liddle. During his youth James was bound to a notary for 4 years (Apprenticeship ?) It is not known whether James qualified as a notary but he became well educated and was an able clerk. Six days after his 22nd birthday in 1846 he was recruited into the 50th Queens Own Regiment of Foot (Royal West Kent) at Chatham where he remained until March 1848 when he transfered to Walmer. At this stage he was a sergeant paymaster.
I have an extract from the Dover Quarter Sessions Minute Book 1843-1852 (Do/JQm2) Jan 8 1849. It really just covers him being found guilty and sentenced to 7 years beyond the seas.
As he did not include his parents names on his marriage certificate and the entry on his death certificate was provided by others, there is probably no certainty who his parents may have been. I expect though that somewhere the birth would have been registered, maybe he was James Jamieson.
Many thanks for your help.
Jim G