Author Topic: Edinburgh, John Hislop  (Read 9118 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh, John Hislop
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I am finding it impossible, sorry to say, to find anything definitive for you. With the latest details you provided, I've had another look around.

I can see a son James born in 1825 in Edinburgh to a James Liddle and Alison Wishart (married in 1824). Her death entry shows in Midlothian in the 1850s with those names, so no Hislop connection that shows.

There is also an Alison Gillies who married a Walter Hislop in 1836 in Midlothian. She was older than him, from the censuses, and from her death entry, I also cannot see a connection to the Liddle name.

I think I found the solicitor Liddle that you referred to. Was it Joseph Liddle in Edinburgh. He was born 1789 in Edinburgh. He has a number of sons, including a Henry and a Thomas (father John and mother Beatrice).

I've run death searches for an Al* with the names Hislop and Liddle, in her age group, on Scotlands People and nothing immediate comes across with those names.

....so, struggling to pick up on any leads here  :'(.

Regards.

Monica 

PS. From the list of names you provided for James's children in Australia, Alice/Alisa is a variant of Alison I would say.

Also, how did the Jamieson name come in? Why does a relative think that father may have been a Jamieson?

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jim G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
The suggestion of Jamieson being James father comes from some notes written by some distant relation of mine. The only other mention is when she refers to Grays Annual Directory 1833-4 and states there were several Hislop's and Jamiesons living in Midlothian with addresses in Edinburgh. Not much to go on.
We may have hit the brick wall.
Thanks for your help
Jim G

Offline Chez3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I have some family information on James John Henry Hislop born 21-10-1824 in Scotland died 23-10-1909 in Australia.  Son of John and Allison (Lydell).  He arrived in Australia aboard the Pyrenees June 1851 as a convict (would love to see the transcript of his trial mentioned) married Bridget Mulqueen from Ireland.  According to a list I have just found they had 13 children. Maria Ester 1854-1933: James John Henry 1856-1831: William 1858- 1935: Thomas dided 1858 ( Williams Twin): Walter Cook 1859-1935 (my great grandfather); Henry 1862-1940: Rachel died 1941: Alfred died 1933: Bertha Louisa died 1943: Maud Rebecca died 1942: Alexander died 1934: Ailsa Augusta 1876-1951.
Until I found today this handwritten page of my late mothers stating "this is as in dictionary" I was only aware of 11 children. 
Hope this helps someone to untangle the family tree web.

regards
Chez

Offline trevorhislop

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am an 'illegitimate' ancestor of John James Henry Hislop.  Alexander and Ailsa were in fact children of Maria Esther and David Hay (unmarried) but in the family bible - but not birth certificates - were classed as children of James and Bridgette (this has caused great confusion!). There was considerable subterfuge to disguise the fact (eg Maria and Brigette spent the latter period of Maria's pregnancy in Albany, Western Australia. However Alexander's birth certificate  is quite clear as to the father. David was the 1st person required to provide maintenance under the WA Bastardry Act - so the matter was finalised qute legally. He was also an MP (short term) and the discoverer of coal in Collie WA. David was also the son in law of the Colonial Chaplain! David Hay and James John Henry Hislop were close friends and political allies in local politics to teh end and Alexander Hislop knew his father, David Hay, very well (adopting unofficially David as his middle name)  so the relationship between Maria and David continued in some form despite the fact that David married the Colonial Chaplain's daughter after Alexander was born but before Ailsa was born! What an intriguing combination that all makes in the smal town of Bunbury, which had only some hundreds of people at the time.     

JJH was himself also had a rather fascinating life but I have prattled on too long already.

Trevor Hislop