Author Topic: completed  (Read 1546 times)

Offline nolongeramember

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
completed
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out a regiment.  My GGfather listed on marriage certificate 1900 as Pte Infantry of Foot - he was in St Sepulchre, Northampton at the time which has a barracks there.  One of his children born 1908 in Colchester - the certificate is a mess but it looks like his occuption is 58th Regiment.  I know he was stationed in Dublin during the 1916 uprising and was still there in 1918. The only uniform photo of him is as Chelsea Pensioner - I've contacted them but they've given me the wrong bloke.  Anyone know or know of a site to find who was stationed where and when. He didn't serve in WWI - most sites seem dedicated to those that died/injured then. I've looked at Northamptonshire Regiment on a museum site but it confused me (not hard) as I don't know much about how the regiments break into numbers and stuff. Any help welcome - cheers

Offline webberbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identify Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
The 58th was the Rutlandshire Regt of Foot which amalgamated with 48th Northamptonshire  Regt of Foot in 1881 to form The Northamptonshire Regiment.  The Regiment's Battle Honours range from Quebec in 1759 through the Napoleonic War in Egypt and Spain, The Great War where it had 13 Battalions in France and Mesopotamia and Gallipoli, and the Second World War where it fought in Europe, North Africa and Burma.
It has probably now been absorbed into a"regional" unit but there should be a Regimental Museum or Association in Northampton.

Later:-

The Northamptonshire Regt is now part of the Royal Anglian Regiment who'se Association is at TA Centre, Clare Street, Northampton, NN1 3NQ. tele 01604 635412. 
Nothing lost by contacting them.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi jesshugo and a Warm Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

This is a very interesting time in British history, overshadowed by WW1, but historically interesting never the less.

If your GGfather was a Chelsea Pensioner, his records may still be in Glasgow, this link may help

http://www.rootschat.com/links/014s/

At what date do you have him as a Chelsea Pensioner, 'cos his records maybe at TNA it kinda hinges around 1921.

Wendi  :)

PS I assume you have no more photo's of him, but do you per chance have any medals?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 00:33 BST (UK) »
After the Cardwell reforms of 1881, the 48th became the 1st bn and the 58th the 2nd bn. They were both amalgamated together in 1948.

The Regt were not in Ireland until 1919 and then at Templemore. The 2nd bn were in Colchester from 1904-1911.

As a Northamptonshire Regt historian type  :) I know of no Regimental involvement in the Easter Rising, unless he was attached to another unit - which is of course possible!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline nolongeramember

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks thats very interesting - back to the drawingboard.
Jess

Offline nolongeramember

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Good News ;D

I got email from Royal Chelsea Hospital this morning.
John Vincent last posting was with the Military Provost Staff Corps - does anyone know anything about them?
jess

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
They were the military prison guard types....as at the glasshouse in Colchester....

They were raised in 1901 as the Military Prison Staff Corps and changed the title in 1906 t the Military Provost Staff Corps. The official task was to make good soldiers out of bad....See the film "The Hill" with Sean Connery!!

Now part of the AGC (Adjutant Generals Corps...or All Girl Corps) Provost Branch with the Corps Of Royal Miltary Police
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.