Author Topic: Osmond  (Read 2696 times)

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osmond
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My Great Great Grandmother, Ann Osmond,  was described as being "of Gypsy Origins". This was on an entry for her marriage in 1835, in Uffington Berkshire.
I haven't been able to find a record for her baptism, so know nothing of her parents.
My Greatx2 Grandfather had family living in Dublin. I know they were Horse Breeders/Dealers. I have wondered whether Ann came over to England with them, when the family brought the Horses here to trade.
Any help or ideas appreciated.
Irene
Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Norman. of Bristol and Wilts
Churchill. Berkshire
Hawtree. Herts and Middlesex

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Osmond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 07 23:09 BST (UK) »

Hi curiousfox,

I am also researching the name Osmond.
          Questions .. Was Osmond her maiden name ? or did she marry an
          Osmond? .. Who did she marry ?

If you would like to click on "search rootschat" you will see that I have
           several postings on the Osmond name.

Regards Rosemary*
Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,
Ann married James Breakspear in December 1835, the marriage took place in Uffington Berkshire.
Thanks for your reply,
Irene
Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Churchill. Berkshire

Offline anneboswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Ann Osmond was also my great great grandmother; her son, Fred, married my great grandmother, Adelaide Boswell/Lewis, the daughter of Tommy Boswell/Lewis and Councelettie Smith; her other son, Jack, married one of Adelaide's sisters.  Tryphena Breakspear, my grandmother, was Fred and Adelaide Breakspeare's first child.

I think I have some material going back from James Breakspear, if you are interested, but know little of Ann's family.  They were, of course, all travellers.

Best regards, Anne.

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Thanks for your reply.
I didn't know that James and Ann Breakspear had a son named Frederick. Although i know it was a family name. My grandfather (Thomas) had a brother Frederick Fowler Breakspear.
I am descended from another of James and Anne's son,  Thomas, he was baptised in February 1837 in Uffington.
Do you have Robert as the father of James Breakspear?
I love the name Tryphena, is it Biblical?
regards,
Irene

Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Churchill. Berkshire

Offline anneboswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 07 20:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Irene, your message sent me rushing to my files, to refresh my memory on the Breakspear line - I have left out a generation!  This is how it runs (promise!):
James Breakspear m Anne Osmond, and they had a Thomas, who m Sarah Fowler.  It was Thomas and Sarah who were the parents of my Frederick (Fowler) Breakspear, they also had John Fowler (Jack), Thomas and Walter, as well as Jane, Georgina and Sarah.  Frederick was my great grandfather, and clearly your grandfather's elder brother, and married Adelaide.  Yes, Tryphena is biblical, with Greek origins - it means dainty or delicious maiden! I think the relationship makes us second cousins, once removed - or something like that!

In answer to your question, yes, I do have Robert as James' father, and his wife is Mary (nee Willis).  Robert is the son of another James, who was married to a Susannah (nee Shilton).  I think he was the same James Breakspear b. in Broadwell, Oxford to John B. and Rachel (nee Beale), himself the son of Philip B. and Mary (Hulett).  Philip's father was also a Philip, but I run out there . . .

I am sorry I couldn't help on the Osmond front - I will let you know if I dig anything up - but it is delightful to discover another cousin - however distant.  With kind regards,   Anne.

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 07 20:40 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I have been searching all over for your Ann Osmond ... no luck so far !

Where were James and Ann in the 1841 and 1851 census ? just hoping that this will give a clue !

Regards Rosemary

PS ... just great that you have found each other
Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,
I have had some difficulty finding the family in 1841. I usually use Ancestry, but cant find them listed there. Have tonight looked on GenesReunited, and James is there, but i cant see Ann ??? perhaps she had died by then?
Thanks for taking an interest in my little mystery.
Irene
Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Churchill. Berkshire

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 April 07 23:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi Ann and Irene,

In the 1861 census there is a James Breakspear born Uffingdon Berkshire age 47 years married to a Mary Ann 18 years old with baby Elizabeth of 5 months - the family living in Uffingdon.

Could this be your James ? if so, then it would mean that  Ann (nee Osmond ) had died and he remarried.

I have searched ( till crosseyed ) all variants of "Breakspear" in the 41 and 51 census -- nope ! can`t find them either.

So.. Where were they from marriage till later ? Where and when were their children born?

Kind regards   Rosemary