Author Topic: Osmond  (Read 2695 times)

Offline anneboswell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Osmond
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 07 09:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosemarie and Irene -

well, wrong generation, but possibly an uncle, since it was a family name - my/our james was bp 1837, so would only be about 24, and his first son, Frederick was yet to be born.  By the way, Irene, if you could tell me anything about Thomas, his marriage and descendants, I'd be so grateful.  Wonder what happened to Walter?

Regards, Anne.

Offline curiousfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 April 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary and Ann,
James was born in 1815 in Uffington. Mary Ann, was in fact his daughter!
Mary Ann had two children outside of marriage. They were Elizabeth b1860 and William b1862. Mary Ann subsequently married William C Heardon. They are all on the 1871 census together in Hanwell. The children are described as William's step children.
I do think Ann must have died before the 1841 census. Although i haven't yet been able to find her death certificate.
Talking of death certs, i have 1 for Robert Breakspear he died in 1865, at the great age of 91.
Thomas the son of James and Ann, was born in 1837 in Woolstone. He married Sarah Fowler.
Their son, Walter Breakspear b1878 in Southall married Tabitha Ann Green. They were married in 1898, and had at least two children, Frederick born c1899 and William born c1900. They were living in Newbury at the time of the 1901 census.
Walter had a sister Georgina b1872 in Little Coxwell, she was married to the brother of Tabitha Ann Green - Sydney Charles Green.
They certainly kept things in the family!!!
Walters brother Thomas b1875 in Eaton Hastings Berks, is my grandfather. I know he was in the army as a young man, as i have his marriage certificate for his 1st wife, Susan Carroll. He was stationed at Woolwich, but i don't know his regiment. Susan died in childbirth.
Thomas then married my grandmother Lillian Annie Hayward. born 1880 in calne.
They were married in 1906. and had 4 son and 3 daughters. sadly the 2 eldest daughters died young, 1 of them from Polio.
Of the 4 sons, one was a boxer and suffered brain damage in a fight, he never married.
one was in the RAF in the war. He never married.
One was in the Army and died as a Japanese prisoner of War.
My Father, Tom, was the only son to marry.
The surviving daughter, Iris, married my Mothers half brother Fred (again!) Standfast.
Incidentally, Walter was described on the 1901 census as a general dealer.
My Grandfather, on leaving the Army owned a Newsagents in Leyton. It was on the Leabridge Rd, all his children were born there.
Ann, out of curiosity, what was the occupation of your Fred Breakspear? I can't find him on any census returns after 1881.
I need a cup of Tea after this marathon entry....
Ann, i hope this information has been of interest to you.
Irene

Biscoe
Breakspear
Fiddy
Durden
Waklin
Roote
Loughnane
Norman. of Bristol and Wilts
Churchill. Berkshire
Hawtree. Herts and Middlesex

Offline anneboswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Irene - thank you for so much information - brilliant, and quite sad, even tragic, at times.  On his marriage certificate Fred Breakspear was a marine store dealer.  On his death certificate, at the turn of the century, it said he died as a result of heavy drinking.  My grandmother was about 12 or 13 at the time, and she had to go into service.  The marrying between families, and marrying siblings to siblings was quite common, I believe.

My dear cousin, Jim Hayward, must in some way be connected with the Calne Haywards, I would think - travellers all!  With best regards,   Anne.