Author Topic: <FROOTS> Ultimate Family Tree Programme  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
<FROOTS> Ultimate Family Tree Programme
« on: Monday 29 November 04 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Please can someone help us?

Our computer "failed" recently. It was repaired and had XP put on, instead of previously 98. For the first time since then, I wanted to put together a descendant report from our UFT, but when I looked at the preview of it, <FROOTS> is at the beginning of several lines.

I looked in help, and under frequently asked questions, it said that it cannot find the ROOTS or font name font. But I don't understand what to do next or how to do it!

Thank you - in hope!

Joy

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: <FROOTS> Ultimate Family Tree Programme
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately UFT appears to have ben discontinued before Windows XP was issued and there may be some compatability issues

On the start bar there should be a shortcut to the program right click on this shortcut and you should see a list select properties by left clicking it.
At this you should see a tabbed window the third tab should read compatability Tick the box "Run this program in compatability mode " and then select Windows 98 from the list.

Close it and then try running the program .... it may help but its possible that the compatability issues go much further. :(

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I've done some checking and it looks like compatability is not the issue  :(

When the program was re installed it either didn't install the font "roots" to where Windows XP expects to find it or it hasn't installed it at all.

http://www.rootsusers.org/FAQs/machnew.htm   has some help on installing and moving to a new machine including the names of files that may need to be copied over.

1. Check the folder "fonts" within the Windows main folder on C Drive
2. or try using the search facility from the control panel to search for a file called or contaning "Roots"

If the file is in the fonts folder you can try  reinstalling the program making sure you have administrator rights (ie the machine authorises you to install programs) or if the font is in another place go to the fonts folder in Windows click on file on the menu bar and select install new font ......  it should ask for a source and you point it to where the roots font is .

If the roots font is not on the machine try checking your installation disks to see if the font is there and try the installation from within the fonts folder

If the font is not there either, then the last solution is to try to get the program to change its default fonts ...... this instruction may be contained within the programs help files.

Sorry I can't help any further

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

It's all sorted - whoopee!!

I'd also asked about my problem on the rootsweb UFT mailing list, but couldn't wait for an answer from there, so came here for help!! However, the answer came from the rootsweb UFT mailing list as follows:

"Using Google I found a message from Bob Strock that said:
...the <FROOTS> problem is due the Roots font not being
installed into the Windows Font folder. The Roots font can be found in
the main UFT folder.

To actually do the installation, go to start - settings- control panel -
Fonts - File - install.. -navigate to your UFT folder, select the roots
(true type) font and click on OK."

Am not sure how I did it now, but it's done and sorted!!

Joy