Author Topic: TRINGHAM in Godalming/Busbridge  (Read 6114 times)

Offline peter inman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TRINGHAM in Godalming/Busbridge
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 August 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
Edith and a young Rev. William Tringham

Offline peter inman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 August 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
William Tringham later in life.

Offline 19colonywren48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 August 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Are you still interested in the Tringham family  -  I have just been told about your query.  I have now joined Rootschat.
The Tringham family owned a lot of land in my village and I met old villagers who remembered Mary Tringham (died 1914) and her house 'Brentmoor' is only 100 or so adds away from my house.
I have information about Edie if you are still interested.  She inherited 'Brentmoor' from her aunt, and promptly sold it.  Edie died on 14 May 1923 and is buried at Longcross Churchyard.  She died as a result of a accident - details I can send.
I am currently researching the Tringham family  -  but there are many branches !

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 August 20 04:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I am still interested in Edie. Mainly to try and find why a relative of mine here in NZ would have a photograph of her as a child. There may be some sort of family connection.

There was a TRINGHAM family in NZ, a Charles who was an architect in Wellington. He was born in Winforton, Herefordshire in 1841 and died in NZ in 1916. He arrived in NZ in 1864 and married Margaret Hunter BENNETT in NZ in 1868.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter inman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
My mother, writing to me about my grandmother Nancy Tringham, mentions Edith. “In her (Nancy Tringham) twenties a second tragedy struck when her Aunt Edith lost her life. It is said her nightdress caught in the flames of the bedroom fire. Nancy was very fond of Edith who came from the family of John Fox. (author of Foxes Book of Martyrs).                     It is strange that her photo should be found in New Zealand. I will try and find a family connection...have you any names that might help. My great grandfather William Tringham had many brothers so my father remembers many great uncles, cousins etc. William Stuart Tringham was a descendant of the royal Stuart’s hence tradition of Stuart as middle name. My brother Paul Stuart will probably be last to follow that tradition. All the best Peter

Offline 19colonywren48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 August 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Looking at my Tringham notes I think the way forward is for me to email my Tringham contact - who is charming - and ask him if he or his aunts recall a New Zealand connection. 
If William Tringham (c 1833-1909) is your great grandfather we are on the right track. 
William T (1833-1909) married in 1828, Elizabeth Ann Mason and their children were :
Edith Elizabeth(1864); Stuart Wm George (1866) - married Constance + 2 daughters - Dorothea and Nancy;  Harry Graham (1867); Archibald Montgomery (1869); Edgar Mason (1873) and Harold Robert Parnell (1875). Edith was born in Dorset, and as you say died as a result of her nightclothes catching fire at Longcross Vicarage.
I live near Longcross Church, now closed and threatened with redevelopment. My friend lives near Busbridge Church.
I suppose you know that Charles Dickens used the surname of Tringham as a pseudonym. I can find no T family connection though.   Your great great grandmother was a Parkinson - her father 'identified' Parkinsons Disease.   I think it is going to be Stuart William George who is the connection.We will get there!   Kindest regards Jenny

Offline peter inman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 August 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info Jenny...my father, not long passed, loved Dickens and I remember he once purchased a complete collection of his novels and read them all over one winter, chuckling to himself much of the time. I still own some land in West End Chobham and as you say the developers are interested. You are right my great grandfather married a Constance Tawney whose brother was R.H.Tawney author of ‘Religion and the Rise of Capitalism.’                    My father while alive was the closest living descendant of Parkinson and was invited to attend the bicentennial memorial of his death at St Clements Shoreditch. Ironically Dor, one of William Tringhams daughters, died of Parkinson’s not before refusing to unveil a blue plaque in his memory. My grandmother Nancy married Edward Henry Inman, a recipient of the military cross during WW1. I am editing a rather raggle taggle family history for my mother as she is fading fast with a heart condition...

Offline 19colonywren48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter for all that - just a couple of things that have occurred to me,
Am I right that Stuart Wm George and Constance Ellen also had twin daughters?
I don't know how familiar you are with the area around Woking, but back in the mid 1850s a huge Asylum was built in open countryside.  We all knew it as Brookwood Hospital.  It was more or less a village within itself and walkable to the newly opened Brookwood railway station.  I believe that Stuart was connected some way with the Brookwood Hospital - administratively rather than medically, and there was a ward named after him.  When the hospital site was cleared for development I took a photo of the ward name over the door - on a huge slab of stone.  The demolition men said I could take it if I could carry it !!!  One of the roads on the subsequent housing estate is called Tringham Road.
I also have a copy photo featuring a "Sister Tringham" in a group photo of Red Cross personnel - photo taken outside some local centre.  It was used in a book called 'Our Home Front' published by Surrey Heath Museum a good few years ago.  This photo would be WW2 time.
Do you have any knowledge of a William Tringham and Eleanor Amelia Tarleton (nee Fletcher)?
That William Tringham was born 1800, died 1859 - with 3 children.  I can't fit him into the Tringham's of Longcross though.  Still working on this.  He seems to be a naval man.
Are you in touch with any Tringhams in the London area?
More as and when.   Jenny

Offline peter inman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 August 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes...the twin daughters were my grandmother Nancy Catherine and her twin Betty.Unfortunately Betty died at a young age under anaesthetic. After marrying my grandfather Ted and the birth of my father Nancy had to be put in an institution, she was there for till she died in 1960. My father was brought up by the Tringhams at Chobham Ridges and never saw his mother or father. I don’t know if institution was one you mention. I have a lot of stuff to go through but I’ll write again soon I be been invited to supper.