Author Topic: Smith family  (Read 2080 times)

Offline nancyb63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith family
« on: Friday 06 April 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,
I need a hand to find my English ancestors in Shropshire.
I'm French and live in France that's why it's very difficult for me. I came up whilst searching in France with my great great great grand-mother's mariage certificate. She was maried to a David SMITH in 1803 and it says that he came from Longdon in "Sapche" (misspelled)  and that he was born in 1775 from George & Elizabeth SMITH. All I could come up with from that is his Baptism in 1775 in Longdon upon Tern, but there's nothing more to it.
Could anyone help me find a birth certificate in Longdon? Or maybe a mariage certificate of George and Elizabeth. Problem is I don't know her maiden name nor the date of their mariage (between 1770 to 1775 probably)
Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.
Best regards,
Nancy Bonnefond
SMITH in Longdon-upon-Tern, Walton, Wellington SHROPSHIRE (Salop)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Smith family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy :)

Welcome onboard,

As far as I can make out the surname Smith is only mentioned 3 times in the Longdon upon tern registers,

12 Aug 1770 William, s. of George & Elizabeth Smith bap.
 23 Jul 1775 David, s. of George & Elizabeth Smith bap.
 01 May 1808 Sarah, base child of Elizabeth Smith bap.

The only marriage I can see around the area that might just fit is

Diddlebury Parish Registers.

03 Dec 1764 George Smith & Elizabeth Proudley, both p. D. mar. Witnesses: Edward Glace & John Cound.

Best wishes
Pete,
P.S what was the maiden name of your 4 times granny? did she come from Shropshire,
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline nancyb63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Thank you for your help and the trouble.
No I don't have her maiden name. Wish I did, it would make my research so easier...
The only thing I'm sure of is avid's birth date and parents' names and location at his birth. William could be David's brother.
I noticed on familysearch.org that there was at least 3 couples named George and Elizabeth Smith that married in Shropshire county.  Which is the right one, I don't know. Are there only baptism records in England? Because david's doesn't bring me anymore info that could help. It's so much easier in France because there's the names of both parent and their age or birth place on it.
I'm realy stuck here...
Maybe they weren't married in Longdon but Walton or Wellington. Who knows!
Thanks again for your help.
Kind regards,
Nancy

PS: what does 'both p. D. mar.' mean?
SMITH in Longdon-upon-Tern, Walton, Wellington SHROPSHIRE (Salop)