Author Topic: "DUCK"  (Read 12883 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: "DUCK"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 07 19:59 BST (UK) »
Alwight m'duck?  Just adding Northampton to the mix!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
I work with a Stokey and for food he calls it " snapping"

Alf

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
Alwight m'duck?  Just adding Northampton to the mix!

Regards, Emma ;)

And theres me thinking it was more Wellingborough / Kett'rin !!

I would if I could but I kent so I shent so I ainta gunna....With thanks to "Air Aida"
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline michaelgperry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:17 BST (UK) »
As some-one who ia "Derbyshire born. Derbyshire bred, strong in the arm and 'Wik' in the 'ead,  Duck is a familiar term. "Eye up mi duck , ah thowt yo wor ded" is an old form of greeting still used in a lot of Derbyshire and Nottingham. I guess that the "Strays" we all see so much in the genealogy lists must take it with them to foreign parts, I know that 'G'Day mi duck" gets some funny looks in Western Australia where I live now.
A good web site with the sayings and audio of them is available from  BBC Radio Derby.
Mick Perry in WA.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
This brought a smile! I'm Greater Manchester born & bred (ie where "love" is used mainly), but my parents came from "Duck" territory - I visited Mum yesterday & took her out - in the space of about 10 minutes I heard several people address each other as "Duck" - this was Staffs. It does always make me smile, though sometimes I have to bite my tongue to resist a "quack". I would like to know the origins, like Alf.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 23:32 BST (UK) »
I don't know how accurate this origin is but try the link

http://www.thepotteries.org/dialect_qa.html#Where_

My mother comes from the Potteries, but we've lived in Cornwall for over 50 years.  We both roared when her cousin left us with a "tara duck" and still say it to one another many years later.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 April 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link Ellen - interesting.

Offline brightspark

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Duck is a term of respect,nothing to do with wild fowl, and hails back to a time when most lands were owned by the duke of devonshire,(Cavendish, shugbourgh hall)and he  would be greeted by the locals with a "Good afternoon Duke" and because us stokies only speak the sounds of the words, hey presto  Duck...
As ever talking within industry was frowned upon and discouraged,so we learned to say a lot in as short a time as poss,plus the noise in pits Potts etc

yupmeyduc........good afternoon duke
Or, Owat............How are you?
       Atginon.......How are you going on?
To which is replied   AhOrate..thay!...,...yes  alright , and you?
and lastly kin..L...which is left to the imagination to decide based on the previous examples

PS spell cheka didna likit effa

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
My nan being scots would say,
hi ya hen.  ge is a kiss then hen.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet