Author Topic: MORRIS from Montford  (Read 6864 times)

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MORRIS from Montford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
...I'm now trying to find a Jane or Sarah MORRIS with a daughter, Alice 1875c.
as these seem the most likely right now...

...on the 1861 Jane MORRIS, 14,  1847, is a dairymaid in Forton, her birth village...

... Sarah, 16, 1845, is possibly a housemaid, in Shrewsbury...

...the 1871 is less clear for both Jane and Sarah, but I'll work on it...

...there is a Sarah MORRIS death, age 33, Atcham, 1879

...this Sarah who died would fit perfectly with an Alice, Sarah's daughter, living with Sarah's sister Ann...(Alice MORRIS, b. 1875, niece of Ann LAIGHT nee MORRIS living in Wolverhampton (1881)...)

...I shall keep trying!...you at least know the family of your ggran, even if there was no birth certificate...

...how do I go about searching the parish registers?

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
I have no idea where the Shropshire parish records are held, so I would post a new thread on this board asking if anyone knows, someones bound to.

You could contact the Shropshire Family History Society www.sfhs.org.uk
they might be able to assist you.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 April 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
...I'll check for the Shropshire parish records on a new thread and thanks for the site info...

...after all this, I think the free bmd Atcham 1873 6a, 716 Alice MORRIS birth most closely matches my ggran...

...the 1873 date fits the date passed down through the family

...I also think the aunt Ann (LAIGHT nee MORRIS) is the most likely for my ggrans Mom...Ann MORRIS was a servant in St. Chad, Shrewsbury on the 1871 census, (so Atcham should be correct for that location)...one of ggran's daughters was called Annie (and none of her six daughters were a Sarah or Jane)

...it's been interesting looking at these rural Shropshire families from laborers, milkmaids to servants....also some railroad connections...

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
...it seems possible that this Alice niece (of Ann LAIGHT, 1881) might have been born in 1873 Atcham, as there is no other Alice MORRIS, b. Shropshire near Shrewsbury, with an 1873 birth on the 1881 census or on the IGI...

...Alice niece of Ann, may be Ann's daughter because people often tried to hide out-of-wedlock births, and therefore maybe referred to Alice as a "niece".

...looking at the Jane MORRIS, b. 1847, Montford possibility for a mom still though...Jane appears quite clearly on the 1861 as a milk maid...

...on the 1871 there is an interesting Jane MORRIS, b. 1847, Shrewsbury in Bowdon, Cheshire...who might be this same Jane born Montford...the 1871 unfortunately wasn't very specific...

...my ggran Alice ended up in Pendleton, Lancs. which is in the area of Bowdon, Cheshire...maybe my ggran Alice ended up near her mom Jane afterall... :-\

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
I wondered if Alice was Ann Laights illegitimate daughter, she would be about 21 at the time, I see Ann married Joseph Laight in 1879 so its possible. Although Alice would only be 5 at the time, why not put her down as Josephs daughter  :-\

But on the other hand you do have the place connection with Jane  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 May 07 17:29 BST (UK) »

...Alice may well have been Joseph's daughter, they often married the father after a first child or so...

...but I just don't know why his name didn't pass down the family...or why Alice put Frederick MORRIS on her marriage certificate (not say Joseph MORRIS or even Joseph LAIGHT).

...the Jane location is rather a long shot at the moment 

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 May 07 17:36 BST (UK) »
Yes it does seem odd, they seemed to put what they like down in those days. ::)

I am sure if you keep plugging away at it, you will eventually find out, I hope so, you deserve to.  :)

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 May 07 23:31 BST (UK) »

...yes, thank you, the answer will appear with some of those birth certificates...assuming ggran Alice had one!

as per the 1881 census...it is most likely the Atcham 1875 March certificate (as Alice appears as Alice MORRIS born Shropshire, age 6)

as per the 1891 it is most likely Wolverhampton 1874 (as Alice appears age 17, born Wolverhampton, therefore 1874)

1901 - age 26, therefore 1875

death 1931 age 58 on gravestone (therefore 1874), BUT!! as per my gran (Alice's daughter), Alice died age 57 therefore 1875

...one or the other!!!   ???

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 May 07 08:34 BST (UK) »
Well. looking at the odds its even isent it  ::)

I would say go with your gut feelings if you have any ???  when there is nothing else,  personally I woud be inclined to think that her daughter should have know her correct age whe she died as she was not that old,  but then again......... :-\

You will just have to plump for one, and if wrong try the other one, sometimes we dont have a choice, I have several wrong certificates.  ::)

I wish you luck

Patrish.