Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 161889 times)

Offline BK Marshall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #252 on: Sunday 17 January 16 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diski,

I am a direct descendant of Edward McKey of Crossmolina. All I know about my ancestors in Ireland is below and I hope to fill out the story more and even further back in history if possible. 

Upon leaving Ireland during the famine Edward an his brother were greatly successful in the Upper Midwest of the US, investing much of their wealth in Chicago real estate where the McKey influence continues to this day. 

Edward's  mother Maria Forrester also came to the US for Crossmolina and I seek any ancestor info on that branch also.   

Any info available that you can share about Mckey and/or Forrester in Ireland is very greatly appreciated. Cheers! Bryan

Subject: [WI-Rock] Edward & Michael McKey bio, Forrester, Wood, Stevens, Tole, Folds
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:13:32 -0500

From Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, publ. 1889 - page 357-358

EDWARD McKEY and his twin brother Michael, were for many years prominent citizens and business men of Janesville. The following sketch of these gentlemen is taken from the Wisconsin Volume of the United States Biographical Dictionary.

Edward and Michael McKEY were twin brothers, born at Crossmolina, County Mayo, Ireland, on the 18th day of September, 1821. Their parents were Thomas and Maria (FORRESTER) McKEY. The brothers received their education mainly at home and at a private school in the neighborhood. At school they showed great precocity and while excelling in their studies generally evinced a marked aptitude for history and literature. They left school at the early age of fifteen years and were apprenticed to the dry goods business, entering the establishment of the leading merchant in that line in their native town. Although mere boys, they displayed unmistakable business qualifications and after four years of their apprenticeship had expired, prevailed upon their employer to release them from the indentures, still however remaining in his employ.

In 1840, Edward visited the United States, remaining for about six months.

At the age of twenty-two, (1843) the brothers commenced business (in Crossmolina) on their own account and soon developed a flourishing and extensive trade, which they carried on successfully until 1846, when they were overtaken by the great famine of that year which involved nearly the whole business career of the Island in ruin, and from which they, with every one else, suffered every severe losses. The young brothers, however, were full of energy and well directed ambition and determined at once to retrieve their fortunes in another land.

In the early part of 1847, they carried out their intention, emigrated to America, and located at Little falls, N.Y., buying out the business of N.H. WOOD, in the fall of the same year. While at that place, rumors of the resources and capacities of the great West reached their ears and like many others these marvelous reports attracted their serious attention. They therefore resolved to make another change and accordingly in 1849, removed to Wisconsin, opening a mercantile house first at Racine and shortly afterwards another at Janesville.
The full bio is at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WIROCK/2002-08/1030144266

And... I just saw this info about Maria Forrester (Edward's Mother) at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=57023285

Maria Forrester McKey
Birth:    1799, Ireland
Death:    Nov. 17, 1868
Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin, USA
Wife of Thomas McKey of Crossmolina, County Mayo, Ireland. Thomas died in Crossmolina "at age 60" according to parish records, on May 25, 1857. His widow Maria immigrated to America with their youngest child shortly afterwards to join their other children who were already there.
Children:
Edward and Michael (twins)
Ellen
Richard
Thomas
Elizabeth
John Martin
Albert
Robert Forrester

Offline Clarro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Friday 22 January 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors worked on the John Walsh Estate in Castlehill, Crossmolina, aprox 1833-1864. All were Roman Catholic, Addergoole Parrish. Family Names:

1: Martin: Mary Martin (born late 1700s, died 1867..or so),  widow, married to a John Martin. John listed on Griffins valuation. Children: son Thomas (my great geat grandfather)  and daughter, Bridget. May be another child born to Mary but cannot find any record.
1a: Winifred Martin, Thomas's daughter (my great grandmother), born/baptised about 1848. Married a John Curley, perhaps before emigrating to America. can find no record in Americ a fany marriage.
2: Kerby: John Kerby. John listed in Griffins Valuation. His Daughter, Mary, my great great grandmother, married Thomas Martin aprox.1847. No record of her mother's name, or any siblings.

Any information or leads you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Clarro

Offline JackK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Saturday 23 January 16 00:33 GMT (UK) »
I am searching Gillespie, Sabina born ~1837. Married Denis Lynn and lived in Dooleeg More.

Any connection?

Jack

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
As always, I appologise for the vey late response!
I have no McKeys in the database at all. You can read my intro concerning the records, but the time frame for your ancestors is earlier than my church records begin. I tried looking for just Thomas and Mary without using given names and came up with nothing.
Do you have another spelling variant that I could try?
Same goes for Forrester-none that early. I also checked Forrestal, which is more common-but again its far to early for the church  records.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Martin, Kerby
« Reply #256 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Clarro
I could find no records for your family. Do you have a village name for them? That may help when the early records are so difficult to decipher.
Strangley enough, I have no males using the Kirby surname but do have females. However, none marrying into the Martin line.
I also have no Martin females marrying into the Curley line.

If they were from Addergoole, you should of course, look in those records as well. That might be your best bet.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lynn Gillespy Gillespie
« Reply #257 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have a good many names in the register for this couple. The spelling variant for Lynn were Leymon, Lemin,Lyon, Lamin...:Sabinas name was written Sibby, and sometimes as Sarah.
Aug 1861 Rose: 17 Dec 1848 Mary: 1 Dec 1850 Catherine: 17 Feb 1855 Sabina: Feb 1857 Sibby: 13 Mar 1859 John: 22 June 1865 TWINS Patrick and Margaret: 17 Dec 1852 Margaret (must have died): 23 Jan 1870 Thomas.
Witness were (all Lynn surnames-) Michael John, Patk, Hugh, Cath.,Mary. Tho and Cate Gillespy, Mary Gillespy, Sibby Gillespy, and Mary Dyra.

Offline JackK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
Diski
Thank you very much for this information. I would appreciate any additional information that you may come across.

Also, what is your opinion regarding these two people? 17 Feb 1855 Sabina: Feb 1857 Sibby

Lynns were from Dooleeg/Dooleegmore.

Again, a big THANK YOU!
Slainte, Jack

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gillespy
« Reply #259 on: Thursday 09 June 16 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi JackK
I assume that the first Sabina b 1855 died. You may want to contact North Mayo Heritage center and hire them to 'give me all records pertaining to Gillespy'- you may get more info-with family groups.
I did that with my Sweeneys and it was very enlightening. There are a lot of Gillespies though and I don't know how much they charge.

Offline ejpitman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Sunday 23 October 16 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there

Thank you for the offer to look up records. I have been trying with little success to learn more about the Moffat and Roe (Row / Rowe) side of my family.

My 6th GGmother is Margaret Moffat, b ~ 1775 in Crossmolina. I have William Moffat (1750?) as her father but otherwise a deadend.

She married James Roe (Row? Rowe?) of Knockbawn, although I have no record of the marriage.

They had a number of children, including Margaret Rowe (b. ~ 1797), Jonathon Rowe (b~1801), William Roe (?b. 1808?) all in Ireland (not sure where ... Crossmolina?) and then in 1809 I find them in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Do you know why families left the area for Scotland around this time?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ebeth