Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 161937 times)

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Chruch Records
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 26 April 09 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
I have the 1901 census for you in Derreen:
Names   First   Rel   Age   Year Born   Occup   Marriage   Birth   Religion
Gillespie   Mary   w   57   1844      Mar   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Peter   Head   55   1846   Farmer   Mar   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Maria   d   31   1870      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Mich   s   26   1875      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Margt   d   24   1877      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Peter   s   22   1879      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Br   d   20   1881      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Ellen   d   15   1886      Single   Mayo   RC
Gillespie   Nora   s   11   1890      Single   Mayo   RC

The church records are incomplete and also could be erroneous due to the condition of the register and how I interpreted the writing. Here they are, but PLEASE don't take it as gospel. I am in the process of checking the register again but your time frame is too early-I am only up to 1855ish so it will be a while yet, but I will check next week for your family and also get the sponsors. Here is what I have BEFORE double checking the register:

Church records   MONTH   CHILD   FATHER   SURNAME   MOTHER   SURNAME   RESIDENCE
1869    Feb   Mary   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Dereen
1872   Dec   Tho   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Tristia
1874   July   Mich   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Letter-
1876   Oct   Margt?   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Dereen
1879   Feb   Peter   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Dereen
1881   March   Br   Peter   Gillespy   Mary   Mulherin   Dereen

Thats it for now,
Diane

Offline mamev1

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 26 April 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Kevin and Diane,

I am stumped with my Gillespies. I know of three siblings, Anthony, who fought with the PA 8th regiment in the Civil War, Mary, who seems to have married into a Judge family in Pittston and Dominick, my great-grandfather who died after a fall in 1896. Because PA death certificates at that time didn't specify parents or place of origin beyond Ireland, I can't really tell where he was from.

I am aware of traditional Irish naming patterns: Dominick's oldest son was Patrick, another son was Anthony and a third son was Joseph. His daughters were Honora, who died in infancy, Margaret, Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Alice. Naturally, I am looking for Gillespies whose father might have been a Patrick, although I am not excluding other possibilities, of course.

My late father, who was born in 1902 and who knew some of the people of the immigrant generation, said that his family was from Ballina. (This could have been the Gallaghers, as well.) I have been reading the Kilmoremoy parish records and have seen large numbers of Gillespies in townlands of that parish. I am currently on baptism #10, 258 and am only up to 1833. My guess is that Dominick was probably born between 1835 and 1840 so I still have a way to go.

I know there were numerous Gillespies in Crossmolina but for some reason, I don't think my Gillespies were from there.  I've read through Crossmolina a few times looking for various names, and no one seems to fit in with what I do know.

Mary, Dominick and Anthony all apear on the 1860 Luzerne Co., PA census, living in a boarding house in Pittston. Later, Dominick and Anthony moved to Scranton. I have Anthony's papers from the CW, but since he didn't apply for a pension, there is nothing to specific about his background. And so, I will keep reading Kilmoreloy until  the cows come home. Maybe I will find something there that can be of benefit to us both.

Marybeth VW
County Mayo - Gallagher, Gillespie/Gelaspy, Ruddy, McHale, O'Donnell, O'Boyle, Lammin/Lammond, Mullin, Munnelly, Hughes, Golden, Tigue

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Marybeth

My database does not show any Dominicks Eliz or Alice names born in that time frame.
Sounds like you have a HUGE project ahead of you!

Good luck!
Diane

Offline mamev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 27 April 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Diane,

Thank you. I imagine that I will finish Kilmoremoy sometime in this lifetime. Then it will be on to another parish. The only good thing about this is that I have filled notebooks with transcriptions from these parish records. If any of the names that I have pop up in these discussions, I might be able to provide some help to someone.

I did read all that was available from Kilfian parish, where my Ruddy and McHale ancestors originated. There are only ten years of records extant but  I  found a great deal on the above names as well as Munnelly/Monnelly/Manley families. (That's the family I was actually looking for, for someone here in the US.)

Take care,

Marybeth VW
County Mayo - Gallagher, Gillespie/Gelaspy, Ruddy, McHale, O'Donnell, O'Boyle, Lammin/Lammond, Mullin, Munnelly, Hughes, Golden, Tigue

Offline THamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 01 May 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Marybeth -

I am interested in your Munnelly/Monnelly records.  My ancestor was Mary Munnelly born about 1844.  I have found, what I believe to be her marriage record to Peter Gaughan 15 Feb 1868 in Bellmullet Chapel, Belmulley, Mayo.  Her residence at time of marriage was Tallaghan.  Her father's name was Michael.

Do you have any Mary Munnellys or Michael Munnellys in your records?  Her name was later changed to Munley when she emmigrated to USA - Pennsylvania.

Thank you
Trish
Hamilton/Kane in Cushendun/Glendun, Antrim
Gaughan/Munnelly in Belmullet, Mayo

Offline mamev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 02 May 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Trish,

I have not gotten as far as Belmullet. However, one of my Manley/Munnelly correspondents is connected with the area so I have forwarded your question. Can you give any more information? Where did Mary settle in the US? Any other information that might be helpful? Right now I am reall, really bogged down reading Kilmoremoy. I am up to something beyond the 10,000th baptism and still am not out of the 1830's. I don't see a lot of Munnelly's there, however.

I do have Tony Donohoe's book on Crossmolina Parish, however and he writes this about the historic Munnelly's:  The O'Donnell came to Mayo in the early 17th century, presumably after the defeat at the Battle of the Boyne. He planted Achille, Ballycroy, Glenhest and parts of Erris with his followers. These included Munnelly O'Doherty who were settled in Ballymunnelly."

I will let you know what my correspondents think.

Marybeth

Offline THamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 02 May 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marybeth -

Thank you for your response.  She immigrated in 1883.  Their ship was one of the first to leave Blacksod Bay under Free Emmigration.  Mary (Munnelly) Gaughan and her husband Peter Gaughan settled in Winton Borough, now Jessup, Pennsylvania with their three sons.  I believe that she had a brother Patrick who also settled there.  He went by Patrick Munley.

Any help would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Trish

Hamilton/Kane in Cushendun/Glendun, Antrim
Gaughan/Munnelly in Belmullet, Mayo

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 02 May 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Any chance of having a look for Francis Morrison came to England in the 1850s wth wife Ann and possably son James.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline mamev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 03 May 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I checked all of my notebooks hoping that there might be a Morrison mixed up with one of the families I was referencing but apparently they were not connected. Then I checked Tony Donohoe's book on Crossmolina. He has all of the names indexed and in some cases, quite a bit on certain prominent or numerous families. He doesn't have Morrisons indexed.

I will try a few other things, just to see if I can identify them with a townland or even a differernt parish. I am doing Kilmoremoy right now and haven't seen that name. But I am still in the 1830's.

Marybeth VW