Author Topic: Thomas Jones  (Read 4036 times)

Offline agnak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jones
« on: Monday 09 April 07 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I'm looking for information on the marriage of Thomas Jones and Elizabeth Evans.  I know they had a daughter, Charlotte Jones (my gg grandmother) on 31st July 1827 in Gresford Wrexham.  I would also like to know if they were on the 1841 or 1851 Census
I do know that Charlotte migrated to Australia and married in Melbourne in 1854. I believe she could have left Wales in 1852/3

Hoping someone can help,

Regards,
Arthur Richardson

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jones
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 07 07:52 BST (UK) »
First of all,I would like to wish you a very warm welcome to Rootschat,and wish you all the best with your research. I could not find any Charlotte Jones born in Gresford in c 1827,in the 1851 Census.The 1841 Census for the Wrexham area is missing.As far as Thomas and Elizabeth Jones are concerned;have you any idea of their Birthplace,and/or Birthyear?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline agnak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 07 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi William,
Firstly, thanks for your kind wishes and quick reply.  I have a piece of paper,  which is approximately 150 years old, listing all members of the McGavin family and written by, I think,  Charlotte's husband Andrew Ingram McGavin.  He writes, "Charlotte McGavin born 3lst July 1827, in the Parish of Grossford, Denbighshire, Wales".  On their Marriage Certificate Charlotte says she was born in "Wrexham, North Wales and that she was 27 years old" and that her parents were "Thomas Jones, Mason, and Elizabeth Evans".  They were married  on the 4th May 1854 and he stated he "was a member of the Free Presbyterian Church and that Charlotte Jones was a member of the Wesleyan Church and that they were married according to the forms of the Free Presbyterian Church".
I have no other information regarding the ages or birthplaces of Thomas or Elizabeth. 
I do have a photo of Charlotte and Andrew around the time of their wedding.
Thank you sincerely for your interest and help,
Regards,
Arthur Richardson  (Melbourne, Australia)

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur.  Found an entry for a Charlotte Jones, born in 1827 but the birthplace is just Wales.  She was a servant to one of the Wynne family in Llanarmon.  Maybe she is your Charlotte.
Mike Davies
Wrexham
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline agnak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks William, sound lik it could be my Charlotte.  I gather there was no information about parents etc. Did you find her on some Census?   Can you tell me how far this place is from Gresford?
I am most grateful for your help as I had hit a brick wall.

Regards,
Arthur

Offline agnak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 07 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
Thanks for your help.  This morning when I replied to you quickly before going out I inadvertently called you William instead of Mike.  I must apologise.  I should not do things in a hurry.  I have a piece of paper which is over 150 years old and which is in Charlotte's husband hand writing.  It states she was born 31/7/1827 in Gresford Denbighshire Wrexham Wales.  When she married here in 1854 she did not say her parents were deceased but they could have been and of course she could have moved anywhere.
The person you found could be her.
Regards,
Arthur

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur.  Should have mentioned that it was the 1851 census.  Llanarmon is about 18 miles from Gresford and it was not unusual for young people to travel away to find work.  I did not find her in 1861 so, I assume that she either married or emigrated.  I hope that this helps you to go further in your research.  please get in touch if you need any more help.  I live about 2 miles from Gresford by the way.
Regards
Mike

Offline agnak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 07 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Thanks once again. I think it might well be my Charlotte.  I believe she came to Australia in around 1853
and married in 1854.  Would you be able to see if her parents, Thomas and Elizabeth Jones, were on the Census please?  I had been hoping to find all three of them ( plus see if there were any siblings) on the 1841 Census but I've been told that it no longer exists.  Can you suggest anything I could do to trae their possible marriage and charlotte's birth or do you think it is impossible?

Regards,
Arthur

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur.  Now this is not guaranteed but I found a Thomas and Elizabeth in 1851.  They were living in Llay which was in the parish of Gresford.  There were 7 children, 5 girls, 2 boys.  My ancestors also lived in the parish of Gresford.  Gresford is a lovely village with a church which is mentioned in the poem about the seven wonders of Wales.  The bells of the church are quite famous and I am sure if you put Gresford bells into a search engine you will find more details. 
Regards
Mike Davies