Author Topic: james armstrong & george farish  (Read 3752 times)

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
james armstrong & george farish
« on: Monday 09 April 07 06:00 BST (UK) »
i am trying to trace  James Armstrong  born canonbie 1853/4 with a mother Elizabeth hogg.  also from the entry below i would now like to trace  any one with a connection to George farish or can throw  light on his connection to the littles or hoggs . ( must be littles   as he is put a cousin  to head  william little )

1861 census; byreburn, canobie

William.Little..head...age 38...coal miner
Elizabeth...wife...age 37
David...son...age 7 months
James armstrong...step-son...age 7
George farish...cousin...ag labourer
all born canonbie.

also  could some local person  tell me if  byreburn is a hamlet or part of canonbie and would it have its own  kirk and graveyard .

many thanks Adrian.

LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: james armstrong & george farish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 07 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,

Did a quick search in Scotlandspeople for your James Little.  Found a few in Canobie but none married to an Elizabeth Hogg.

Found a marriage for a William Little to an Elizabeth Hogg in 1860 but no James sorry..

As for George Farish. there was one possible birth that I found but the year slightly out... found a birth in Dumfrieshire.. but its 1829 rather than 1835 (going on the fact that on the 1861 census he was listed as being 26.)

It may be worth your while getting in touch with the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society...

http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/index.htm

they may be able to guide you better than I can..

Best Wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian
Byreburn is a 'hamlet"' I suppose.  It is very much within the parish of Canonbie. it is just to the north of the centre of Canonbie and is between Canonbie and Langholm.
If you try this link and key in Byreburn you should find it.
www.streetmap.co,uk
If you then try www.old-maps.co.uk and key in Canonbie (Dumfrieshire) you should find it as it was in the 1860s (I think).

I may be able to help with the people.  I'll report back

Regards
Reiver

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again Adrian

I'm not too sure how much you already know so I hope the following is new.

William Little -  who headed the family at Byreburn as you posted - married Elizabeth Hogg in 1860.  James Armstrong is shown in 1854 as being baptised/born to William Armstrong and Elizabeth Hogg.  The images of both events - that in the baptism register and that on the marriage certificate can be seen on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There are no Farish or similar names in the memorial inscriptions for Canonbie.  There is a 16yr old George Farish in canonbie in 1851.  You could try the following Dumfries & Galloway web site which provides a searchable 1851 Census for Dumfrieshire et al.
www.dumgal.gov.uk

Regards
Reiver

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
found the birth:

James Armstrong son of William Armstrong  and Elizabeth Hogg  Born 17th January 1854  and Christened on 6th June 1854.

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland