Author Topic: Residence at Time Of Marriage  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Davholsea

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Residence at Time Of Marriage
« on: Tuesday 30 November 04 10:08 GMT (UK) »
During my research, I have come across several marriage certificates which give the same address for the bride and groom prior to marriage. On at least 2 occaisions I know this to be untrue - they did not share the same address.

Can anyone suggest why the same address might be recorded for both of them? Also is there any significance to those certificates that show a road name, but no actual address?

Many thanks in advance

Bob
Cunningham - Liverpool
Yates - Liverpool/Wirral
McMahon - Liverpool
Horan - Liverpool
Moody - Liverpool

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Residence at Time Of Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 10:31 GMT (UK) »
The engaged couple were "proving" residence in the relevant parish. Often one of them, usually the groom, had no real address there so he left a suitcase at a suitable address and so established "residence". Those are called suitcase weddings.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Hackstaple. I did not know the phrase before but I love "suitcase weddings"!

As you will see from the C19th census returns, many addresses comprised street without house number -- indeed, this was the rule rather than the exception in rural areas, and to a lesser extent also pertained in towns.

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have some certificates like that.  They seem to be very common in my family.  I also have addresses on certificates where neither the Bride nor Groom lived there.  :-\

Kim
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 00:13 GMT (UK) »
The reason that one of the couple was "proving residence" by leaving a suitcase at the address was, of course, money. Most people were married in church and had banns called. if they lived in different parishes then the banns had to be called in both of them - and paid for in both of them. That's why the couples would give the same address.
Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.