Author Topic: WILSON - Carnmoney, Antrim 1803 - 1849  (Read 8282 times)

Offline grossan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILSON - Carnmoney, Antrim 1803 - 1849
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
Dixie Dee   -  I was a bit premature in thinking your information may not have been what I am looking for but on a closer look I find that the Plot 147, old section WILSON is probably the right one as the dates are exactly as I have them - I was thrown by the fact that I have the wife as Jean Speer not a Jane but I guess the stone inscription is more than likely the correct name.   I am really appreciative of your trouble and will now be able to progress the search for the next generation, namely the grandson David and his siblings.                     grossan

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Grossan.
I think Mallusk would be the closest cemetery to Carnmoney, apart from the Church of Ireland one.
Think this is your Robert in the baptismal records for Carnmoney Presbyterian church. No birth date.
Robert, 19 June 1803.   Father, Robert Wilson.
The mother's name is not recorded.

What surnames have you related to Wilson ?.
Some in the register are,
Brice, Speer, Dubois, Smith, Barklimore and others.
Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi grossan.
I should have said Mallusk cemetery would have been the closest in that time, as Carnmoney Cemetery is not old enough.

Found 4 records for baptisms in Carnmoney Presbyterian church, for children of Robert Wilson and Jane / Jean Speer.
Margaret, born 10 Feb 1832. Bapt 29 Mar 1832.
Jane, born 26 Aug 1836. Bapt 19 Oct 1836.
Elizabeth, born 28 Oct 1839. Bapt 2 Jan 1840.
Mother's first name has been entered as Jean at this baptism.
Thomas, born 29 Sept 1848. Bapt 3 Dec 1848.

Could this mother be the Margaret above ?.
Lydia, born 12 Jan 1858. Bapt 1 Mar 1858.
Parents,   John Kerr and Margaret Wilson.

As you can see this minister went to the trouble of entering birth dates.

This headstone, I suspect, may belong to the above Thomas Wilson, the age works in.
Mallusk Cemetery, section A-12.
Grey marble stone and surround.
WILSON
In loving memory of Thomas Wilson, Ballyvesey, who died 24 February 1931 aged 82 years. Also his wife, Isabella who died 29 May 1941 aged 90 years. Their son, James who died 31 December 1956 aged 82 years, his wife Elizabeth who died 28 July 1958 aged 78 years.
At rest.
Left edge, ( This inscription must be on the surround).
His son Robert who died 5 October 1931 aged 55 years.

Regards,
Dixie
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline grossan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Dixie - you are a star to come up with all the information you have passed on - the details are often identical to what I have been given (in the past) by a reliable source and it is just great to have such positive confirmation.
Other names connected or linked to Robert Wilson are Speer, Ferguson and Fitzgerald.   Elizabeth Wilson 13.12.1795, sister of Robert 19.06.1803 married John Fitzgerald Oct.1814 in Carnmoney.   There is also a Russell branch - formed when Sarah Wilson 29.01.1828 married a John Russell and there is also the surname Reid from Carnmoney and Hutchinson from Carnmoney and Tasdale (all females marrying Wilsons!!).   My information peters out in Ireland after Peter Fitzgerald moved to Scotland, married there and from then on the Scottish connection took over.
I hope I haven't bored you with all these details - just want you to know how very appreciative I am of your interest
Regards       grossan

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 April 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi grossan.
Those baptisms are from photocopies of the church records, so should be as accurate as you'll get. Did you check out the years I've already posted on the Antrim board ?.
Could only find one christening of a child to John Russell and Sarah Wilson.
Agnes, born 10 Sept 1857. Bapt 25 Oct 1857.

Headstone inscriptions in Mallusk Cemetery.
RUSSELL.                                       Old section, No 122b.
Tall ornamental stone.
Erected by John Russell of Hightown in memory of his beloved wife Sarah Wilson who died 17 September 1872 aged 44 years. The above John Russell died 17 December 1891 aged 69 years.Also his son John died 30 October 1915 aged 65 years. Also his son Robert died 10 August 1922 aged 66 years. Also his daughter Sarah died 17 January 1930 aged 71 years and his daughter Mary Ann died 24 March 1949 aged 88 years.

Could this be John Russell's family ?.
RUSSELL                                           Old section No 121.
Limestone headstone.
Erected by John Russell of Hightown to the memory of his daughter Janet who departed this life 8 July 1836 aged 3 years. Also his daughter Sarah who died 16 May 1846 aged 20 years. Also his son Hugh Giffin who died 18 May 1846 aged 10 years. Also his son Alexr; Russell who died 27 March 1851 aged 20 years. Also the said John Russell who died 13 September 1852 aged 86 years and his wife Jane Giffin who died 14 August 1871 aged 77 years. Also their son William Russell who died 27 May 1872 aged 44 years.

Hope this is off some help to you.

There is a couple of other churches in the area, it's possible some of your people may have been members of those congregations.
Hydepark Presbyterian and Hydepark Methodist.
Regards,
Dixie.

Wilson, Quinn

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 April 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again.
Had another look to see if John Russell's baptism was in the church records and found these 2.
Parents,  John Russell and Jean Giffen.
John, born 24 Aug 1822. Bapt 24 Oct 1822.
Janet, born 7 May 1833. Bapt 26 May 1833.

Jean / Jane seemed to be inter-changeable, see both names being used in the records for the same person in various other entries.

Regards,
Dixie.
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline grossan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 April 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
History Team - I haven't been able to tie into my FT the information you passed on but I thank you for your input and will have it on file just in case     Regards    grossan

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 April 07 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks grossan.

We've been following your exchanges with Dixie over the last couple of days with great interest.

Offline grossan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
Dixie - I have checked the years re the baptisms and they are all among details I have and as I have said before it is good to have them verified in this way.   Interestingly the only baptism you could find for a child of John and Sarah Russell was Agnes - I have her born on the 10.09.1857 death 17.08.1914.   I say interestingly as there were, I think, eight children in all.   
I am almost certain that the John Russell and Jean Giffen are right as the name Giffin was given to John and Sarah (Wilson)'s second child Samuel Giffin Russell who was born on 03.04.1852 and who married Annie E.Skinner 14.04.1879 - she was born about 1854 in Carnmoney - Samuel I presume was named after his grandmother, Jean Giffin - do you think that makes sense?
I have the birth (or baptism) dates of the named sons and daughters on the RUSSELL headstone in Mallusk Old Section No.122b and they all tie in with the ages given on the stone.   I don't have anything to go on re the RUSSELL Old Section 121 but I think it must be the parents and siblings of the John Russell in Old section No.122b.
My head has been spinning trying to work it all out!!
Your help has been invaluable in bringing all these ancestors into some semblance of relationship to later generations who eventually made the journey to Scotland and who carried the line on from there right up to the present day.

It is so good to know that there are still people like yourself who will put themselves out to help others and I count myself very lucky to have made your acquaintance in this way.   My very grateful thanks and kind regards      grossan