Author Topic: RATTLE family  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
RATTLE family
« on: Tuesday 10 April 07 07:35 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in the surname RATTLE, you may be interested to know that there is some previous work that may help you out.

Thomas Rattle was a Canadian who was researching the Suffolk branch of the Rattle family in the 1950s & 60s. He spent a lot of time and money in travelling to the UK and laboriously trailing through parish records in those pre-IGI days.

To give some financial support he produced a book that was typewritten and bound, to sell to relatives and presumably anyone who would buy it. It is very comprehensive and breaks the family down into branches that have a very large number of people listed. Against these he gives detail that varies between almost nothing to a short biography depending upon how much information was given to him in response to his enquiries to family members.

I have found a number of omissions and a few mistakes in the book, but I have to say that I take my hat off to the chap given the circumstances of the day. There must still be a few copies around, but the only one that I have seen and used is in the Ipswich Suffolk record office. The record office will make photocopies, but they make a £5 initial charge as well, so given the number of pages it would work out quite expensive.

I thoroughly recommend this book if you are interested in the Rattle family.

Regards - John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!