Author Topic: Captain John YOUNG of 76th Foot  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Captain John YOUNG of 76th Foot
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 10:03 BST (UK) »
Fellow Rootschatters

Can anyone help me with more details of the career of John YOUNG? This is what I have found so far:

Married 1810 to Jane FRO(O)ME:
Adminstration WILTSHIRE Source DLB Date 1810 Mar 19 Groom John YOUNG aged 35 occupation Captain residing at –, – status bac notes 76 Regt of Foot Bride Jane FROME aged 25 residing at Salisbury Close, WILTS status sp notes –Bondsmen CHURCHILL Benj,clerk,Queen's Coll,Oxford

Based on this, I spent some time looking at the London Gazette, and found the following:

34th Regiment of Foot, Lieutenant John Young, from the 8th Light Dragoons, to be Captain of a Company, by Purchase, vice Bull, resigned.
(London Gazette Issue 15943 published on the 5 August 1806. Page 3 of 32)

76th Ditto [i.e, Regiment of Foot].
To be Captains of Companies,
Lieutenant Edward Marston, without Purchase, vice Jacobs, promoted in the 30th Foot.
Lieutenant John Munro Sinclair, without Purchase.
Lieutenant and Adjutant A. Fraser, vice Swetnam, deceased.
Lieutenant George Edward Pratt Barlow, from the 8th Light Dragoons, by Purchase, vice Sinclair, who retires.
Captain John Young, from the 34th Foot, vice Barlow, who exchanges.
(London Gazette Issue 15948 published on the 23 August 1806. Page 2 of 12)

STAFF
Major Charles Broke, from the 5th: Foot, to be Permanent Adjutant Quarter-Master-General, vice Bathurst, who exchanges.
Captain John Young, from the 76th Foot, to be Staff. Captain at the Army Depot in the Isle of Wight, vice Armstrong, who exchanges.
(London Gazette Issue 16455 published on the 12 February 1811. Page 12 of 28)

So it appears that John YOUNG was born about 1775, that he joined the 8th Dragoons, was promoted to Captain in the 34th Regiment of Foot in 1806, and shortly after, moved to the 76th Regiment of Foot. In 1811, the year after his marriage, he moved to the Isle of Wight with the Army.

It is possible that he died in 1823, since I have found a Will for a captain John YOUNG on half pay, living in Southampton.

Can anyone fill in any gaps from the Army List, Regimental History or other sources? Especially, is there any record of where he was born or when he first enlisted?

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Philip Candy