Author Topic: Alnwick/Wallsend --- Thomas Joseph BELL and Joseph BELL  (Read 2367 times)

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alnwick/Wallsend --- Thomas Joseph BELL and Joseph BELL
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, Thomas Joseph Bell whose place of birth is given as Alnwick in censuses from 1861 onwards. He was born about 1832.
On his marriage certificate (1854) his father is given as Joseph Bell, Station Master.  Thomas' address is Wallsend Railway Station ( though he was married in N Yorkshire at Skeeby near Richmond).
I  am trying to find either person in the censuses for 1851 and/or 1841----- or perhaps more useful would be the record of Thomas Joseph's baptism.
Also, it would be helpful to know where I can find out about railway employees so that I can find Joseph.
Thanks in advance for any help
Malcolm H

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick/Wallsend --- Thomas Joseph BELL and Joseph BELL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,

Checked 1851 Wallsend, station master then was Henry Middleton, so Joseph must have been there later.  Haven't been able to find either of them yet, but there are a lot of Bells and he could have been anywhere.

The Railways Archive www.railwaysarchive.co.uk has lots of info but not staff records.

The National Archives hold some railway employee records www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  - they have some records for the Blyth Tyne railway so you might find something there. (enter railway employees in the search box)

Will get back to you if I find the Bells,
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick/Wallsend --- Thomas Joseph BELL and Joseph BELL
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara.  I have no evidence to suggest that Joseph Bell was at Wallsend, but it does seem a possibility as his son, Thomas Joseph "lived" there  --- his occupation given as Railway Clerk on his marriage cert.  As you so rightly say, Joseph could have been anywhere and my problem is that there are so many Bells its very diffcult to find the one you are searching for.  I think I should try the Rail museums, I believe there is one on Tyneside and one in Darlington; they might have some employee records.  Thanks once again for your kind reply.
MalcolmH