Author Topic: William, Susan Harding twins? b.abt 1860  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William, Susan Harding twins? b.abt 1860
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 22:54 BST (UK) »
These 2 children  of William and Emma (nee Tuckwell) were born in Cookham parish (Maidenhead).  In the 1861 census they were a year old (whether from Birth date or christening I don't know).  I cannot find them in the 1871 census I have their father living in East Street Maidenhead with daughter Emily.  Wrong transcription of his name, Hardney not Harding, no sign of wife Emma or the two children.  Where were they in 1971?
Regards Abiam

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William, Susan Harding twins? b.abt 1860
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam,

I know this doesn't answer your question but thought it might be of use.

William Harding born Oct-Dec qtr. 1859 2c 366 Cookham.  There is also a death in Jul-Sep. qtr. 1861 2c 224 Cookham.

May not be your William Harding though.

ANYAS 

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Anyas, 
Yes I have all that you give in the first post.  I should have given more info!  But thank you anyway.  The first WH date you give I reckon is William's son and I'm delving into the other one. 
Just had a thought - could it be the William I'm looking for?  They were living in The Barracks Maidenhead which was pretty unsavoury.  And early death for babies and small children was still quite common.  I wonder if Susan died as well? 
In census1881 there is a WH and Amma (possibly mistranscription) ages are rightish and they have Alice named as daughter aged 25.  Another lot for Norfolk Park cottages! 
I know nothing about Alice except the one I found in the Cookham Union census 1861 which gives Alice Harding aged 10. 
What I thought was their first child, Henry, was born in the workhouse in 1854.  They were married in 1850 and Emma was born in 1823 so unless the census dates are really out it doesn't work.  But it makes me wonder if they ended up back in the Workhouse.   Maybe they separated and he lived with Emily in East Street and the others were taken into the Work house. 
I had to buy Henry's birth cert. and maybe I'll have to do the same again!  But which to order?
Any thoughts most welcome, Regards Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Just in case there is some remote link:

Extract from the Cookham Vestry Minutes:

March 8 1836

To be sold the parish houses occupied by Tuckwell and Clift, with a little land.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 07 14:32 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, the Tuckwells were quite a large family living in Cookham rather than Maidenhead as far as I know. 
Thanks, Abiam

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 07 09:28 BST (UK) »
Most of Maidenhead was in the parish of Cookham
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk