Author Topic: Johnston Family, early 1800s  (Read 7021 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Johnston Family, early 1800s
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I have come across some Cumberland kin and was hoping someone may be able to help me find a marriage.

My 4x Gt Grandfather, Charles George Johnston's details on a australian record shows his parents as George Johnston and Jane Jobson. I have managed to track Charles and his parents in a 1841 census. After that Charles and mother Jane are gone, (Charles no doubt to Australia, mother probably dead) George died between the 1851-1861 census i think. George was a physician.

George and Jane have 5 children:
Charles George,  born 1828 Cockermouth
William, born 1826, Cockermouth
Elizabeth Jane, born about 1829 Cockermouth
Rebecca W born about 1834 Cockermouth
John L, born about 1832, Cockermouth.

Could anyone possibly find a marriage for George and Jane? I would think a marriage would have happened before or around 1826 when their first son was born, yet i still haven't managed to find one.
George was born about 1801, Scotland, his 1851 census states in Dumfries. (middle name is William)
Jane was born about 1796, Cumberland.

I am not confident about Janes maiden name being Jobson as it was on Charles death record. Would love to be able to find more on this lady besides the 1841 census!

I appreciate any help anyone can give me!
Cheers  :)
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston Family, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cat

According to the IGI

George William Johnston married Jane Jopson at Lorton in Cumberland on 19th August 1824.

Batch No.:                M060151
Dates:                 1796 - 1863
Source Call No.:     0090643

I hope this helps

Regards

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Aw thank you so much Half Pint! ;D
I had a strong feeling that the name Jobson was wrong!
That is fantastic, can not thank you enough!

Cheers
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cat

According to the IGI there were two christenings of a Jane Jopson in Cumberland between 1793 and 1803.

They were:

Jane Jopson dau of Matthew Jopson and Jane (presumably Jopson) on 4th October 1795 in Wythburn, Cumberland

Jane Jopson dau of Matthew Jopson and Sarah (presumably Jopson) on 29th December 1797 in Wythburn, Cumberland

Regards

Half Pint
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Cat

I have double checked the IGI deaths for Cumberland for both George and Jane but cannot find a suitable one for either of them.

Regards

Half Pint

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Half Pint
 Hmmm well that is a tricky one lol!  :)

The 1841 census stated 1796 so its either 1 year each way lol. Thank you for the info! At least i know the place and fathers name! i'll just need to work on just which birth date and mother!

I also couldn't find a death for either as there were heaps listed on ancestry, where i looked! 5 alone in Cockermouth for a Jane Johnston! Thank you for taking the time to look!  :) Quite a common name i think in Cumberland, hard to pin anything on them!!

Thank you so much for everything, i appreciate the help!  ;D
Cheers
Cat

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census stated 1796 so its either 1 year each way lol.

The 1841 census actually says age 45 ... if correct, this means they were at least aged 45 but not yet 50.

The Instructions to Enumerators tells all - http://www.rootsweb.com/~engcots/Enum.html

Of course, not everyone knew (or cared) how old they were, so the whole thing's a bit of a lottery!

It's quite possible the two baptisms were children of the same father, the earlier child and her mother having died.  There is no "overlapping" of baptisms for the two mothers ... Jane had four from 1785-95; Sarah had two 1797 and 1799.  It's burial register time ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Cat & others

I'm another gggg-son of George William Johnstone & Jane Jopson.

First, the childen of Matthew Jopson of Wythburn: this is a false trail - they're
probably just distant cousins - but for the record I looked up the originals and
there's a transcription error in the IGI: the `Jane dau. of Sarah' should be
`Sarah dau. of Jane', so there's only one Jane among the children in that family.

But our ancestress Jane is the daughter of Robert Jopson (ca. 1751-1829) and
Jane Norman (1752-1814), who married at Buttermere in 1778.  From the 1841 census entry she was probably born 1791-6, and given that she had a brother born in 1795 I've put her down as ca. 1793.
With the help of recent email corresp with other Jopson descendants, I now have Jane's ancestors 2-3 generations back - the Jopson half from Borrowdale and the Norman half from (as far as I've got locations) Buttermere or nearby.

Jane's baptism doesn't seem to have been registered, but two entries about the
marriage - the church register and the local newspaper - make it clear she was a daughter of the Robert Jopson who was a spirit merchant in Cockermouth, and later lived at Wood House, Buttermere:

Lorton, 1824:
George William Johnston, bachelor, Cockermouth,
of this parish of Brigham
and Jane Jopson, spinster, Buttermere, also
of this parish of Brigham
were married in this chapel by licence with
consent of Parents, 19 Aug 1824
by me Fletcher Fleming, Curate
in the presence of   Wm.(?) Jopson
                   Wm (?) Slack

Cumb Pacquet, Mon 23 Aug 1824:
`At Buttermere, on Thursday last, G.W.Johnston, MD, Cockermouth,
to Miss Jopson, only daughter of Mr. Jopson, of that place, and
late spirit merchant, in Cockermouth.'

I've not managed to get as far back with George William Johnstone's family:
his father was William Johnston(e), merchant of Dumfries and Demarara, who married Elizabeth Paterson in Dumfries in 1784; they had at least 5 children before GW, who was christened in Dumfries, but could have been born in Demarare.
He graduated MD from Edinburgh, with a dissertation on the symptoms of cholera, and seems to have moved pretty much straight away to Cockermouth,
where he died in 1851 `much respected' according to the Cumberland Pacquet.

I've traced most of the next generation or so of Jopsons and Johnstone - I have a diary of the early 1860s that describes the death of my gggm Elizabeth Jane J.
(who had married an East India merchant from Cockermouth, William Sim, in Madras in1855, and died from childbirth complications in Wimbledon in 1863),
and also mentions her sister Rebecca Wilhelmina; but didn't know what happened to Charles George at all, so would be interested to know more about him and his family.

You can find my family tree at  www.mollison.org/tree/tree.html
and individual surname pages at (e.g.)
  www.mollison.org/tree/fam/Jopson.html
  www.mollison.org/tree/fam/Johnstone.html

If you want more info, my email is  denisATma.hw.ac.uk   Moderator comment - Email amended to show AT not @ in accordance with rootschat policy

Best wishes

Denis Mollison

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis

Have just peeked at your site, what a wonderful job you have done, congratulations on such a great job! I feel so spoiled with all that new info you have!

Hope you've received my emails, thank you for making contact with me!

Cheers  ;D
Cat