Author Topic: Crimea Lookup please  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Crimea Lookup please
« on: Thursday 12 April 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Can you please do a lookup for me on the surname KILGALLON

Thank you
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Crimea Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 11:37 BST (UK) »
No-one of that name appears on the casualty lists.
I'm afraid it's not feasible to check a name against the entire medal roll. You need to know the regiment first to get anywhere.

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 11:42 BST (UK) »
Neil,

Now that is going to show me up!! I don't have any knowledge of the war's...
so here goes...

Michael KILGALLON was with the 12th Suffolk Army
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 07 11:48 BST (UK) »
OK yep, 12th Suffolk Regiment.  :)
They weren't in the Crimea though unfortunately  :(

I'll see what I can dig up on him though (if anything)

Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Again Neil,

Michael [ born 1819 St John Sligo Ireland ] enlisted  12th Suffolk in at St John Sligo Ire 1838 age 18 years old served 21 years including 7 1/2 year at Mauritiius and 4 4/12 in Australia..returned to U.K. in 1859 and came back to Austalia in 1865  as an E.P.G. [ Enrolled Pensioner Guard ] on a convict ship..in return for his services he was granted land.

I don't know where in Australia he was in the first time or what years ..or anything before that time.

Is there any way I can find out who his parents and siblings were and his wife's maiden name.

Many Thanks Yonks Ago

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 07 12:09 BST (UK) »
At the time of the Crimean War the 12th Regt were stationed in Australia. A detachment were involved in the Eureka Stockade "incident" in 1854.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Stockade

Here are the regiment's movements:
http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/012-1.htm

Michael Kilgallon was in Australia with them.
Check out this page about the regiment in Oz
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~garter1/12thfoot.htm
Follow the link "surnames of the 1/12th regiment soldiers who stayed". Then scroll to the bottom, click on the letter "K" and there's a KILLCALLON Michael who sounds like him to me!  :)

Is there any way I can find out who his parents and siblings were and his wife's maiden name
You didn't mention when/where he married.

Neil

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 07 12:20 BST (UK) »
Neil,
They married back in Ireland ..two daughters were born Catherine 1861 and Margaret 1863..
Margaret was his wifes name but have quite a number of maiden names for her..Crann..Mc Crann..McCorcoran..O'Ryan to name a few.
Michael nominated his sister in law Honora KELLY [ widow ] to Australia in 1867..but gather that Kelly is a married name.

Thank you so much for what you are doing it is very much appriecated.
Yonks Ago :) :) :)
I'll take a look at the sites that you have given.