Author Topic: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim  (Read 19609 times)

Offline Drumbrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 February 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
In the 1930's the family Arnold in Drumbrick dwindled out and went to America,  The house in which they lived was a single storey stone house,  Francis Reilly walked over the field in Drumbrick and took the house. He was a full blown blacksmith.

Offline SherrardMLS2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
It has been 14 years since I posted my original post.  ;)
I can finally add some information and hopefully answers helpful to someone else as well.   
1.  Margaret, our Arnold's in Drumbrick are not related, but our Arnold's in Rockfield, Co Cavan are.
My great great grandmother, Letitia Arnold, shows up in the 1841 census as the sister in law to Charles and Elisha Elizabeth Houghton in Rockfield, Co Cavan.    Your Arnolds are descended from William Arnold of Aghavadrin, Killeshandra, Cavan, Ireland.   Children included Elizabeth, Rachel, Mary Anne, Richard and Letitia.    The daughters were wed in Carigallen at the Methodist Meeting House.   Richard was married in Co Fermanagh to a Margaret Johnston.   Letitia eventually married Edward Houghton in Cloonboygher, Co Leitrim.   I have recently messaged with a potential relative of yours-D and is very familiar with the Coromahon House as well.
2.  The Arnold's listed by aghadowney are my granduncles and grandaunt.   thank you!
3.  Re the question of a Joseph Arnold existing, he does!    His father was John Arnold b 1781.   He was born in 1831.   This  is substantiated by his marriage records in 1854 where his father is listed as John Arnold of Drumbrick.   He was still present in the 1901 census in Drumbrick.    I also have DNA ties to John Arnold's brother Thomas and have been in contact with his descendants. 
4.  My Sherrard tie is from my grandfather from Limavady.   
5.  Thank you for all the info from the Leitrim Advertiser.   I'm eager to go through them.
6.  My direct Arnold descendants lived Drumbrick through the early 1950's.  Several of them immigrated to the US, Mary Anne ARNOLD married and moved to Cloonboygher, but the rest lived out there lives there.   I've hit a brick wall in that of the ones who stayed behind did not marry except for Margaret Jane Hyland nee Arnold, who died in 1954 at a hospital in Carrick on Shannon with her residence still listed as Drumbrick.    She wrote my granny a letter with a picture saying that "Maggie had 3 sons".   I can only assume that is her daughter or daughter in law but I can find nothing for her.   Her father's name was John "Jonnie" Hyland of Druminshin Glebe, Co Leitrim, Ireland.   

Thanks again for all everyone has contributed.   It is so appreciated.   

Marylou

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother, Letitia Arnold, shows up in the 1841 census as the sister in law to Charles and Elisha Elizabeth Houghton in Rockfield, Co Cavan.   

Link to 1841 census-
Residents of a house 19 in Loughafin or Rockfield (Killashandra, Tullyhunco, Cavan).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1841/Cavan/Tullyhunco/Killashandra/Loughafin_or_Rockfield/19/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
KG ,you are a busy person.
Not only have you providing information on other parts of my family (Kelletts) recently, now I have more info on my Haughton and Arnold links.
Charles Haughton and Elizabeth Arnold were my great, great , great grandparents and are buried in Killeshandra, there is a tomb there.
Hallmark has pictures on his Cemetery pictures thread.
Look forward to hearing more.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Look forward to hearing more.

MEW53, thank you for your kind words  ;D

From SherrardMLS2-

Children included Elizabeth, Rachel, Mary Anne, Richard and Letitia.    The daughters were wed in Carigallen at the Methodist Meeting House.   Richard was married in Co Fermanagh to a Margaret Johnston.   Letitia eventually married Edward Houghton in Cloonboygher, Co Leitrim.

Marriage of Rachel ARNOLD to William Blakely on 5th February 1846.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1846/09314/5372801.pdf

Marriage of Letitia ARNOLD to Edward Houghton on 18th January 1850. (Very poor quality image but has been reported).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1850/09394/5402959.pdf

Both marriages in the Meeting House of Carrigallen Presbyterian Church.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
Found the inscription:
There is a tomb in Croghan cemetry Killeshandra (Co Cavan) with the following inscription on it :

"Sacred to the memory of Charles Haughton of Coromahon.  Died 13 May 1870 aged 69 years. 'Mark the upright and behold the just.  For the end of that man is peace.'  Also his wife Elizabeth Haughton.  Died 15th February 1887, aged 79 years.  'Blessed are the dead Which die in the Lord.'"

Elizabeth Haughton's maiden name was Elizabeth Arnold, she had a brother called  Richard Arnold who died ie25.10.1863 and another brother Robert but I have no details about him. The Arnold information came from a 2nd cousin who said that it had been provided by a genealogist many years ago.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 15:30 BST (UK) »
Children included Elizabeth, Rachel, Mary Anne, Richard and Letitia.    The daughters were wed in Carigallen at the Methodist Meeting House.   Richard was married in Co Fermanagh to a Margaret Johnston.   Letitia eventually married Edward Houghton in Cloonboygher, Co Leitrim.

Marriage of Rachel ARNOLD to William Blakely on 5th February 1846.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1846/09314/5372801.pdf

Marriage of Letitia ARNOLD to Edward Houghton on 18th January 1850. (Very poor quality image but has been reported).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1850/09394/5402959.pdf

Both marriages in the Meeting House of Carrigallen Presbyterian Church.

KG

Richard ARNOLD married Margaret JOHNSTON on 4th December 1851 in Kinawley Parish Church near Derrylin, Co Fermanagh. Margaret living in the townland of Drumshimuck. Her father Andrew Johnston, a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1851/09412/5409811.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/fermanagh/knockninny/kinawley/crum/drumshimuck/

Griffiths Valuation 1862
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qrf/

KG

Offline SherrardMLS2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 January 22 20:15 GMT (UK) »
KG,
Thank you so much for your help.   Now, if only I could connect the Arnold's in Drumbrick with the Arnold's in Co Cavan.   It seems where there's an Arnold there's a marriage to a Haughton/Houghton and where there's a Haughton/Houghton there's a marriage to an Arnold!    I recently found a DNA match with Edward Arnold in Druminshingore.    I have several DNA matches with Arnold's from Drumbrick.  My granny used to speak of her Granny Letitia.   Letitia lived with her family in Cloonboygher in her later years.  So I know I am related to the Arnold's in Co Cavan as well and have had the joy of connecting with them.   I assume the Arnold's came as planters and at least some settled the Drumbrick area and some in the Killeshandra area.   

again, thank you and Happy New Year!