Author Topic: 1841 census clarity  (Read 499 times)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 census clarity
« on: Thursday 12 April 07 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, In 1841 census for Anne Hepper in Littleham, exmouth she seems to be in some sort of work place ( they are all women ). Any ideas as to where she is and what do you think it says in the column before their names. On the first page it has a number then the word beacon, bye the way she was 15 then. Cheers, Phil
My email address is not working - sorry

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census clarity
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
She's a Female Servant (FS) in the Butler Household at 23, Beacon ..... at the bottomn of the lh page its says 'Carried up', so I'd guess that the words at the top of the rh page are 'Brought up' or similar meaning - signifying that the Household continued ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Newfy
Any chance that they all stem from the hotel which is a couple of pages before on page 5

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 07 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both very much. I agree Ricky as ive now looked back. It must have been a large hotel. It looks like it may be called the Beacon Grange or Gorge. If this is so and the beacons are numbered i wonder i, Philf it was an annexed hotel, Phil
My email address is not working - sorry