Author Topic: Marriage or birth records pre 1830  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Traceyk1ng

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage or birth records pre 1830
« on: Friday 13 April 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I have found a site for Old Parish Records for Berkeley Area Gloucestershire on it I have found an entry for a marriage 21/03/1831 but is it possible to obtain a record of this ie certificate? Only when I  do a search on Ancestry nothing comes up?

Same goes for Birth Certificates pre 1830?
Green- Berkeley, Hill, Rockhampton, Thornbury, Hereford
Coates - Berkeley, Yorkshire
Stickler - Thornbury, Glos, Wiltshire
Woodman - Berkeley

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage or birth records pre 1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy

Ancestry only carry BMDs for the years  after civil registration started in 1837.

You could try searching the IGI at

www.familysearch.org

Joe

If you have any difficulty finding who you are searching for post their names and any other info you have and im sure someone will try to find them.
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey

How are you?

There are no such things as certificates prior to the start of official registration in 1837 (England and Wales).

You can however see the parish registers on microfiche at the Gloucester Record Office and they may provide additional information.  Often there wasn't much extra though - it depends how well the records were transcribed on the transcription you have seen.

Did you locate your cottages, by the way?  I was looking at a reproduction of the original Ordnance Survey map at my parents house the other day - you need a magnifying glass, but all the farms etc are marked!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Oh Hi Joe!  Sorry to double post!  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Traceyk1ng

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 07 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I was trying to find parents name of my GGGrandfather and I've come to a standstill as on the Parish records for his marriage in 1831 none are listed just witnesses - so I've come to a grinding halt there!! Also complication was he was born in Herefordshire and came to Glos in his late 20's but still cant find a definate family link to Herefordshire! (Apart from him putting Stoke Edith Down as his birth place)  Well and truelly stuck!

And yes found the cottages Hill is more or less as it was 100years ago and more which is rare these days ;o) Very strange seeing the actual house fields etc as it was then more or less!
Woodman - Berkeley

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 07 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

This may be a long shot, but do any settlement certificates still survive for the parish in Gloucestershire that your ancestor moved to from Herefordshire?

If they do survive for the correct dates it may be worth searching them to see if there is a certificate for him in amongst them. It may give a little more info on where he was from and his occupation and who he was with

Lemon

Offline Traceyk1ng

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can you explain how I would find out about settlement certificates? As I'm still no further forward in my searching  ???
Woodman - Berkeley