Author Topic: Meopham Green  (Read 2017 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Meopham Green
« on: Saturday 14 April 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
I have the death cert (1942) of someone on my tree - a very distant branch I have been struggling to piece together for a long time.

He died at 'Spinneys', Meopham Green, Nr Maidstone.

It sounds such lovely address - I pictured a little cottage with honeysuckle around the door by a village green!!

Out of interest, is there a Rootschatter who lives in the village who can tell me if it is still there? And probably dissillusion me about what it is like!

It is not that important, so I dont want anyone going out of their way. Only if you happedn to live nearby and pass it every day!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Meopham Green
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there :)

I used to live in Meopham Green, but, this was actually in Meopham Kent.
It is nice there and quite a few cottages still left.

Best wishes..... Iris :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Iris
So are you saying that 'Spinneys' was actually in Meopham, not Meopham Green?
Or that Meopham Green as a village is now incorporated into Meopham itself? My road atlas shows them as two distinctive villages, but it is good to get input from someone who knows the area
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Meopham is the longest village in Kent.

Wrotham Road runs through it.  It also has Hook Green, Harvel Green, Culverstone Green plus Meopham Green.
It starts just after Istead Rise and runs through to Culverstone.

Wrotham Road starts in Gravesend and runs right through to Wrotham.....should be easier for you to look for on your map :)

www.meopham.org

Was he living there in the 1901 census ?

Best wishes.....Iris :)
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Iris
Interesting site about Meopham - no mention of 'Spinneys' anywhere!!

No - he wasnt there in 1901. He was only aged 3 then and was with his family in Westerham. (In 1891 the famiy were in Caterham, before that in Sussex where they all originated) But his Dad died in 1906 when he was 8, and the family seemed to move to Tonbridge as that is where his mum died some years later. His elder sister, Elisabeth, lived in Tonbidge when she made her will, but was in Sussex when she died, she never married. His elder brother, William,  has proved as difficult as him to trace, I have no idea what happened to him. But John I eventually found - it was a long haul. I looked through all deaths from 1901 onwards, and the one that was the best match age-wise was this one, aged 44 in 'Gravesend' area. For years I just kept this as a 'possible' but eventually I sent for the certificate. That's when Meopham Green came in to it. The death was registered by his widow, Daisy L. So I went through years and years of marriages till I found a John Edmunds who married a Daisy L, and sure enough I found it, also in Kent.
But I still did not know if this John, married to Daisy and dying in Meopham in 1942 aged 44 was the same one who was a 3 year old in Westerham in 1901. I took the risk of spending another £7 on the marriage cert and was SO glad I did. Sure enough the details given for his father were perfect! Not only the right name (William), that alone would not have convinced me, it was too popular a name, but it also said he was deceased (yes, John's dad died when he was 8) AND that he was a master Grocer, which he was.

modified - dont know why the eight came up as a smily face!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
dont know why the eight came up as a smily face!

because the code for  8) is an "8" and a ")" next to each other ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks - you learn something new every day!  :)
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
"Spinneys" could still be there.

Quite a few of the house names have changed.....
as for the row of farm workers cottages......now demolished and horrible new modern homes, built in their place. :(

Next time I go through by the Green, I will keep an eye open, see if any are of that name.  I can't remember some of the house names....well, it was about 25 years ago I lived there....lol

Best wishes......Iris :)
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
I lived in Meopham 20 years again and  part of Meopham was known as Meopham Green unfortunately I do not remember that name of a house but if it has a name I would think it would be one of the older properties, have you tried to contact the local library which should be in the telephone directory at your local library they could then ask around as people go into the library all the time also they would perhaps have a group of people who know about the history of Meopham. I lived in Tradescant Drive which was named after the gardener John Tradescant gardener to King Charles in 1600s other roads were named after the plants he brought back from abroad. If you have no luck perhaps I could make contact with a person I know who still lives there. Ann
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.