Author Topic: Is BLOCKLEY a common name ?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline angelbaby69nz

• RootsChat Member
  • 'What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger'
    • View Profile
Is BLOCKLEY a common name ?
« on: Saturday 14 April 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
my friend is doing her family tree and i was just wondering how common Blockley was....as i have never heard it before?

Cheers
Tish

Offline angelbaby69nz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: IS BLOCKLEY A COMMON NAME?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 23:16 BST (UK) »
i forgot to mention that they cant seem to find any information on it when they get to a certain year......they think it might have been Blockleg....

Thoughts?

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Tish,

Just try entering Blockley, surname only, into Ancestry and you'll see just how many there are   :D :D

Barbara

PS didn't find any under Blockleg though
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline angelbaby69nz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 07 00:24 BST (UK) »
hi there,

When you say put the name into ancestery....where would i do that?

Cheers

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, if you've never used the ancestry site before to look for census, births, marriages, deaths etc, go to www.ancestry.co.uk and you'll see a search box.  Just enter the surname, click on search and you'll see what I mean  :)

Of course, if you wish to search for any specific person, enter their full name and as much as you know about them.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 07 02:38 BST (UK) »
Tish,

Another idea is to go to
http://www.familysearch.org
then to the International Genealogical Index and enter just the surname BLOCKLEY and select as the region (say) British Isles.
This brings up 1586 hits.

Or go to a search engine like Google and search for:
Blockley
or
Blockley + Genealogy

Or go to an online phone directory and search for Blockley.

I note that there is a website devoted to the name at:
http://www.blockleys.org/

JAP

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
Blockley is a Gloucestershire place name - a very picturesque Cotswold village - and as such anyone who "came from" there might have aquired that surname.  The families might not have been related way back in the past.

This site is quite fun - it plots the occurrences of the name in the 1881 census

BLOCKLEYs in 1881

I live in Gloucestershire and currently there is only one BLOCKLEY in my phone book!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is BLOCKLEY a common name ?
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

That BLOCKLEY website I mentioned says:
"The village of Blockley in Gloucestershire is famous for it's watermills. It seems most likely that all the Blockleys are decended from ancestors who came from the village and took it's name as their surname."

Who knows ...

Where I live (South Australia) the whitepages have 5 BLOCKLEYs in metropolitan SA.  The most populous Australian state, NSW, has 20 in its metropolitan area.

JAP

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
Re: Is BLOCKLEY a common name ?
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Urrgh I have a watermill phobia, so I won't be going there!...

Sorry... I don't have anything useful or informative to say, just thought I'd share that with you all....
Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould