Author Topic: Shropshire Parish Records  (Read 6377 times)

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shropshire Parish Records
« on: Sunday 15 April 07 22:21 BST (UK) »

...interested in information on the Shropshire Parish Records...in particular the records from Atcham including:

...Alice MORRIS, 1873 Atcham, 6a 716 (free bmd)

...this may be the record for my ggran Alice Edith MORRIS, b. 1873c. Staff. Wolverhampton (census 1901)

...the most likely Alice MORRIS for my ggran was living in Wolverhampton on the 1881, with Ann LAIGHT, as a niece, and has a Shropshire (1875) birth entry...

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 08:42 BST (UK) »

If you've got a spare £7 why not order a copy of the certificate ;)

Using the reference that you quoted in your post, you can order the certificate online from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

:) :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 08:57 BST (UK) »

Hello again :D

I've just read your other thread about Alice Morris and am guessing that you probably wouldn't want to spend £7 on a certificate that might not even be yours!!

The Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury is where parish registers are held for viewing on microfilm http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

I live in Shrewsbury, and unfortunately have not been able to get to the Archives for months and months (more's the pity!).  I have a huge list of look ups to do for several other Rootschat members, and would be more than happy to add yours to my list.  I would point out that you may have a long wait :(

The other alternative would be to phone the Archives because they do offer a 10 minute look up for free, and the staff there are most helpful.  Your profile doesn't say where you are.......I just hope you're in the UK, otherwise that phone call might be expensive ;D

The Archives website contains all the contact information.

Good Luck ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 00:40 BST (UK) »
...thanks for the replies...any information about the 1873 to 1876 Alice MORRIS, Atcham birth entries is welcome (and of use...)

...as I really don't know for sure which, if any, is my ggran Alice's birth certificate...(my best estimate at the moment is the 1873 date)...it is a process of elimination at this point...

...eventually, I'll start buying certificates (I've already bought one birth certificate for an Alice MORRIS..

(the Alice Edith MORRIS, 1878 Wolverhampton one, but I don't think it is her...she just had exactly the same name, so I had to check it....)

...and I've also bought two of the most relevant marriage certificates for possible parents)...

...I'm trying to get a sense for how to go about researching the birth certificates without buying too many...

...I'm out of the country so can't just go locally to do the research... however, any look ups is only if it is convenient...and to just to try and get to the bottom of the ggran Alice saga...

...thank you once again.

...Regards, Lesleyneland   

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:09 BST (UK) »

I have added your request to my ever-growing list ;D and will certainly see what I can do ;)

Have you got any extra information that I should be looking for?  Mum or Dad's name etc etc?

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 17:16 BST (UK) »
...thank you for adding Alice MORRIS, 1873 Atcham to your list...

...my best guess for a mother of the Alice MORRIS niece born Shropshire on the 1881 is the aunt: called Ann..then two of her sisters Sarah and Jane...

(other siblings of Ann were: an Eliza, Martha, William, Mary, Esther and John.   Ann's parents were: Thomas and Sarah.)

...my ggran Alice's children's names were, Martha, Charlotte, Eva, Agnes, Annie, Dorothy, George, Clifford and Sydney...

...ggran's dad on 1898 marriage certificate was listed Frederick MORRIS, gardener, deceased (but it is most likely fictitious in some way...)

...in the meantime, I'll keep at it myself and post if I find further info....

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 07 09:32 BST (UK) »

OK!!! I've made a note of all that ;D ;D

Offline lesleyneland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 07 15:15 BST (UK) »

...thank you!!!... :)

...as mentioned, only if it is convenient... 

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
I've just realised that the reference you quoted in your first post
Alice MORRIS, 1873 Atcham, 6a 716 (free bmd)
refers to Atcham registration districtClick here to see which parishes are in this district.

Have you any idea which parish I should be looking in?