Author Topic: WINTER WINTERS GRAY  (Read 6482 times)

Offline redred28

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WINTER WINTERS GRAY
« on: Monday 16 April 07 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

After ages searching the 1901 census I have finally found my GG Grandparents

The family name is Winter ...but

on the 1901 census they were listed as WINTERS

Thomas Winters b1858 Huddersfield
Matilda Winters b 1875 Halifax
Elias Winters 1898 Bradford
Maud J Winters 1900 Ince Lancashire

Thomas's occupation was Carpet Hawker
I know from family he married a Gray also travellers and found their marriage in 1897 (J/A/S)

They went on to have at least 2 more children Robert and another girl.

Does anyone have any connections with this family or can find any evidence of them on previous census returns.

thanks

BESWICK<br />WINTER<br />WILSON<br />BURNSIDE<br />sharpe<br />smith<br />JOYNES ELLIOTT NUTTALL DRURY MOSS SWALES GRAY

Offline redred28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WINTER WINTERS GRAY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 00:28 BST (UK) »
included a picture

Image Resized
BESWICK<br />WINTER<br />WILSON<br />BURNSIDE<br />sharpe<br />smith<br />JOYNES ELLIOTT NUTTALL DRURY MOSS SWALES GRAY

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 07:46 BST (UK) »
This family are on the Heron Pedigree compiled by Rvd George Hall and deposited in the Journals of the Gypsy Lore Society.

Im afraid my own research into the Winter(s) doesnt herald much info either, but I can tell you about Matilda Gray.

She was the daughter of Elias Gray and Amelia Heron/Hearn.
According to the census I found for her she was born cir 1878 Walsall Stf, so theres another possible birthplace to check.

Elias Gray was born cir 1844 Abbots Rippon Hunts the brother of twins Righteous and Cornelius Gray - in turn the sons of James Gray and Bethany. (no other info on James and Bethany)

Amelia Heron/Hearn was born circa 1845 Haddington Nthants the daughter of Edmund Hearn and Christiana Smith. (well he had three wives but Im pretty sure I have named the right one in this case). Edmund (as a wid) married 2nd wife Jemima Smith d/o John (she also a wid) 23.11.1845 Thurning Nthants.

Amelias sister Sage/Sagey married Righteous Gray. She was baptised 16.04.1836 Boughton Nthants (if you find this ref on the IGI its rather badly transcribed as "Loye Hearn").
Again, she is one of Christianas daughters. They married in 1854.

The other daughter of Edmund and Christiana was Matilda who married Sam Heron/Hearn.

Edmund Heron was reputedly born cir 1816  at Easton Nthants - and I think I found his baptism as Eldenham Hearn at Easton On The Hill in 1813. He was the son of Edward "Naibai" Hearn/Heron b.cir 1796 Cambs and Siberensi/Severency Buckland. Naibai also married several times and can be found on the census with his second wife Sinfai Buckland.

Theres more on this family in another thread here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207744.0.html

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 07:55 BST (UK) »
I made a site about the Grays and related families which kind of grew to contain the Heron Pedigree and many census returns - youll find a fair few census's referring to this family there but Im afraid youll have to trawl through the years to find them. I helpfully didnt add a name index  :-[

http://www.geocities.com/seraphim_angel_2002/Gypsyindex.html

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
Think I found your marriage -

Thomas Winter - Matilda Gray Sept Qtr 1897 Walsall Stf

GRO ref: 6b 1064

Offline redred28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 07 20:07 BST (UK) »
thankyou very much

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi redred.I have Wilson,s,Smiths and Winters in my tree,Have you any information about your Wilson,s.That is the line i am researching at the moment.
  My Wilson,s were hawkers,gen. dealers and tinsmith,s. I think that they were mostly in North Yorkshire, although i have a couple of records of them being in Renfrewshire Scotland.
    Regards Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline redred28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
hello

have you names for your Wilsons around the 1901 era.

My direct line is James Wilson marrying Margaret(peggy) Burnside
this is in the 20's.

If you let me have more info I may be able to help.

Thanks

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 07 18:41 BST (UK) »
Ooo now I dont know how many Wilson families were Romany but I do know of two marriages that were.

Brittania "Annie" Boss married William Wilson, (never found a trace of them on census) according to the Heron Pedigree

Her sister Delilah/Deliah/Delaila Wilhelmina Boss married his brother George Wilson.

They were daughters of Riley Boss aka James Vanis or James Heron (his original name was James Heron) by his 3rd wife Susan aka Shurensi "Yoki Shuri" Smith.  These were the names they went by according to the Heron Pedigree, but Riley Boss also used the alias William Boss - as found on the births of two children - one of them being Brittania.

Delaila was born circa 1830 Hull, according to the census's and Brittanias baptism I found via the IGI 5.11.1825, at Grasby Lin. 

As far as I know William Wilson and Brittania had no children, but Delaila and George certainly did:

Lavinia b.cir 1851 Hull, married Henry Scott

Annie or Ann b.cir 1852 Hull married William Hart

Susan b.cir 1854 Hull, died young

William b.cir 1858 Hull married Lucy Coopland

Jack/John b.cir 1864 Hull was a champion boxer of Ykshire

Alice b.cir 1857 Hull married James Wright

Arthur Adness b.cir 1868 Hull married Ada Iveson/or Shinn

Sally b.cir 1856 Hull

George A b.cir 1870 Hull

I know some of the lineage of Arthur Adness Boss and Ada.
and some of William Boss and Lucy.

Going further back is harder to corrobrate - Riley Boss reputedly died in 1850 in London, having moved to the area known as "The Potteries" - he cut his hand skinning a rabbit, and died of blood poisoning (according to legend) and was buried in Brompton Churchyard.

Shurensi/Susan Boss b.cir 1800 died 18.01.1868 buried Spring Bank Cem, Yks

For a fair bit more on this family, and to see the BOSS and Heron Pedigrees as far as I have been able to corroborate them against known facts please check my website(not blowing my own trumpet just its a lot to write out and Ive already written it there -

http://www.geocities.com/seraphim_angel_2002/Gypsyindex.html

Happy hunting!!