Author Topic: Pictures of Carlisle  (Read 2421 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Pictures of Carlisle
« on: Monday 16 April 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a site with pictures of Carlisle, esp. London Road, at any time since the 1900's?

My family had shops along there until the late 1960's - just curious to know if they might be there.  Here's one pic. I have - I'd like to try and find out when it was taken, being a newsagent's I suppose it might be possible to date it from the hoardings outside.
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
If you go to www.cumberland-news.co.uk and look down LHS, there is a "photo gallery" where you can put "london road" in and get 200 photos. There not all very old but you may well pick out ones that interest you.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline jillynetter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.cumbriaimagebank.co.uk/ The link if I'd done it correctly takes you to Cumbrian Image Bank another great site with photos, and very comprehensive, you can search it too.
Cowen - Carlisle, Cumberland & Hexham Northumberland
Harrison - Carlisle & Cumberland
Beck - Carlisle & Cumberland
Ruddick - Carlisle & Cumberland
Wood - Wigton & Cumberland
Jordan - Wigton and Cumberland

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.cumbriaimagebank.co.uk/ The link if I'd done it correctly takes you to Cumbrian Image Bank another great site with photos, and very comprehensive, you can search it too.

Thanks for this  - I spent a wee while searching through and found a couple of photos of family interest! And I've offered copies of related items (earlier pics) to the archive!
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England