Author Topic: rRstoring old photographs  (Read 724 times)

Offline karen xx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
rRstoring old photographs
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi! I've just been directed to this site by Billybob, having got in contact with him on GenesReunited.

I have recently been to visit some almost unknown relatives. I was given acess to old photos, many of which they had no idea of who the people invlved were.

2 photos were obviously taken by a professional photographer but not in a studio. One was a family sitting in an open carriage. The relatives who had this photo did not know who the people shown were but because I also had some old photos I recognised my great, great grandfather & mother. My problem? The photo is very faded & I feal it needs a professional touch.

I am quite au fait with photoshop etc., but this needs more than than my amateur efforts. I notice on this site there are some people advertising thier services but I am very nervous of letting these out of my possession. Has any one used these people?

I await you advice

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: rRstoring old photographs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
hi karen,
              why not just scan your pics and post them her in photograph restoration and see what the restorers here can do with them, if you are then not happy, try the professionals, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen...Good advice from Kali...whatever the outcome...you still keep your original...if you decide to post them here...take a look at Cazza's excellent scanning tutorial at the top of the board!
Good Luck!
T.T.

Forgive me Karen for not welcoming you to Rootschat :-\...Thanks Lydart ;)
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen.

Has anyone welcomed you to RootsChat ?  If not, then welcome !

You can safely put your scanned picture on here ... read at the top of the thread how to do it, what size, etc ... and the wonderful people on here will restore it for you.  Look back at some of the pics they have done in the past ... chunks missing, huge tears and scratches ... all made like new ... and its FREE !!

And you will also get people telling you the dates of your pics ... Old Rowley is very good at that, as is Prue (hope I'm not offending those I omit ... you are all experts).

Try this ... and see ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
hi karen,
                sorry i didn't notice you were new to rootschat until i seen lydart's post, so a big welcome to you and as you must have realized by now we are all waiting to help you out with your pic's, kali
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Glad you found us, you know that you will be forever hooked on this most wonderful site,

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.