Author Topic: Woodside  (Read 2590 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodside
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm curious to find out more about a small village that doesn't exist anymore. It's Woodside that was near Coylton.
Being a parish minister in this area I have sometimes done funerals for elderly folk who came from there.
I believe it was miners houses.
Certainly one of my husbands cousins grandparents were married there - Mary Mclauchlan born 1888  and James Alexander.
Also his former brother in law's mother was from there, and I know of a few others too.
I'm just interested if anyone else knows anything about the place.
Thanks
Revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Woodside
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 07 18:25 BST (UK) »
If you look on old maps, there is a Woodhead, just to the right of Sundrum Mains - this is just next to an area called Broad Wood (and marked as woodland).   Perhaps it was in that area.  My ancestors were mainly from the Joppa, Gateside, Ramsayston, Trabboch areas.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
My husband knows exactly where Woodside was, my interest is more in finding out more about the place and others who had contact with it.
thanks for the reply.
Hubby's folk are/were tarbolton, Annbank area mostly.
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 07 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I presume you've Googled and have thus seen the description of Woodside in 1913 at:
http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/Bibliography/monos/amr4.htm

JAP

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 07 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP
It's an interesting site isn't it. thank you
Revmother