Author Topic: 1871 census  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1871 census
« on: Wednesday 18 April 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Can anyone find two small girls in Edinburgh area - Christina ANDERSON b 1863 and her sister Annie b 1866 in the 1871 census?

By 1872 they were sent to Canada under the British Home Childrens scheme, so unfortunately no parents names.  I realise it's a bit of a long shot! :-\

Thanks, Linda

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lindy was trying to find them on the 1881 census for Canada...
are you sure they were sent then? Do you not have the mariages, then, or names of spouses, etc...? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

There is a marriage for a Christena Anderson, born 1864 in Edinburgh Scotland.  She married a John A. Livingston in 1888 in Ontario.  Her parents are listed as William Anderson and Annie Dunlop.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 03:33 BST (UK) »
Way to go Karen!...Hope that's the right one....
You may have this already, but the 1911 for Canada with John A. transcribed as livingstone...and several children...also the 1901
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test9.jsp?id=37549&highlight=17
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/DisplayPagePanb.jsp?id=46840&highlight=2&
What relation are these ladies to you, Linda, and what else, may I ask, do you know about them otherwise...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
Ladies - wow!!!

I was doing this for a friend as a favour - I have a personal interest in the British Home Children scheme and was trying to help her.

I have to confess that I have recently thrown my original notes away :-[ having almost given this up as a lost cause!

So I will contact her again and see if this all ties in - going by memory(!) I think it does!  Christina was living with the Livingstone family in 1881 and obviously seems to have married one of the sons!  Can I ask you where you got the marriage details from i.e. parents names?

The daughter Marion I. listed on the 1901 census is interesting as it seems to me that my contact had said Christina felt her mothers name was Marion Isabel?  But then where does Annie Dunlop come into it?

I know Christina went on to have a normal productive life in Canada - Annie her sister was adopted by an American doctor and his wife and died very young (early twenties).  My friend was not allowed access to Annies records from the adoption scheme as she is not a direct ancestor. 
Christina's records were very basic and showed her to be an orphan, although she always maintained she was not.  It was quite common for this to happen - sometimes the kids were placed into homes if the parents had fallen on hard times, and the parents thought it was a temporary measure.  They signed papers they didn't really understand and were effectively signing away their rights to their children.  These kids were then shipped out to Canada and Australia as "cheap labour".

Anyway I will let you know if you are on the right track, and I appreciate your time and effort!!!

Linda

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hmmm....I see her on the 1881 now, I have no idea what I was doing wrong in not locating her...   ::)  But the matches on the censuses for John A. seem to clinch it, although he makes his age around a decade younger, if it is the same one....

I just looked at another John, (perhaps a cousin, then?) also in Gratton, Renfrew South, Ontario on the 1881 and his father was Neil, ( name of Christena's first born)  so perhaps a brother to the fellow Christena lived with... age matches better...he also had a sister named Marion...

Neill LIVINGSTONE  57 Farmer... all scottish..wife Annie...
 with children: Isabella, Marion, Margaret, John 17 & Jinnet

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Here is the full marriage information.....

John A. Livingston
Residence when Married:  Gratton, Ontario
Place of Birth:  Gratton, Ontario
Bachelor
Parents:  Neil Livingston & Annie Campbell

Christena Anderson
Residence when married:  Twp. of Gratton
Place of Birth:  Edinburgh, Scotland
Spinster
Parents:  William Anderson & Annie Dunlop

Witnessess:  Peter Portagee (?) Douglas & Margaret Livingston of Gratton

Place of Marriage:  Eganville, Ontario
Date:  March 21, 1888

Religion of both:  Presbyterian
By License or Banns:  License
Reg. No. 010585

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 20:21 BST (UK) »
This may be son Campbell in MooseJaw on the 1911...as states born Ont. and although transcribed as March it clearly says Nov. birth...1891...also say English ancestry, but census taker may have been lumping all together....
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=144233

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
And this may help cinch the father's name, although the mother's name is still up in the air...
an extracted file on the IGI says his first name was actually William...
William Campbell Livingstone
born Nov. 6,1890   
Grattan Township, Renfrew, Ontario
to parents John Livingstone & Christena Anderson

( although the head of household she was in was also William, so this may have been his family naming, also...*SIGH*) J.J.