Author Topic: 1871 census  (Read 10980 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 01:18 BST (UK) »
J.J.

Makes perfect sense, and a possibilty.  I'll have a scout of the I.G.I. and see if anything shows up.

Linda

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:48 BST (UK) »

As you guys have an Annie .... I had to take a look didn't I ??!!  ;) ;)

I'm at a loss at the moment - I didn't renew my A ......... so now I have to wait till payday .... !

but I'll see if I can find anything without it !!

Annie  :)

PS You guys are great ....... !!
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 04:45 BST (UK) »
Can't sleep and guess what's ticking over in my head  :P

I have spent another couple of hours going through the 1871/IGI/SP. The conclusion I reached some time ago is that these girls were not christened Christina and Ann Anderson/Dunlop. With the help of Tom on the other thread we did find some Christina and Ann sisters (with different surnames) in either Edinburgh/Glasgow and followed each through in Scotland past the 1872 sailing date.

I have also gone through the poor houses in both Edinburgh area and Glasgow (type area, age range and inmate for relationship to head) and that tends to bring up poorhouse residents. The BIG problem that we have is that brings up a huge number of possibles (lots of young girls in the right ages with mothers only). Some are hard to double check on IGI down to mis-transcription of surnames.

For example, there is a Christina age 9 and Mary age 7 (surname YOUNG, Edinburgh birth place) who look to be orphans and staying at the Orphans Hospital in Edinburgh. I haven't as yet been able to find corresponding entries on IGI with matching parents...and that's just one set of entries with at least Christina as a name.

Re Ann Dunlop name, there are only two in Edinburgh in the 1861 census who could potentially be mothers to the girls. One is a servant b. 1846 in Edinburgh and the other is born in 1831 in Gladsmuir, Haddingtonshire and is a lodging  house keeper.

However, this assumes that mother was from Edinburgh or in Edinburgh for the 1861 census. She may only have come to Edinburgh (if that actually is where the girls were born) just before the eldest was born.

I did find this entry: ANNIE DUNLOP  Birth: 22 JUL 1866  Clyde, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Parents: Mother: ANNIE DUNLOP    - but no entry with a Christina.

Similary, I found an entry for a criminal prisoner from Glasgow in Edinburgh for the 1871 census called Ann Dunlop age 42

............but it is easy (man drowning comes to mind  ::)) to see things where  they may not be there for lack of actual substance.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 15:02 BST (UK) »
 ;)  Hi, Monica! Yeah, hard to know what is concrete...These threads do consume us, don't they? You've put in lots of time on this! :D

Was hoping that the family didn't move until after the 1901 to see if there was a birthdate for Annie...but even adults who know their beginnings have messed with their dates, so still wouldn't have cinched it, I suppose... That Anne born in Glasgow could still be the one...Christina may still have been born Edinborough... The IGI is incomplete, is it not? Know anyone with the BVRI we can call in? but then who's to say it was a registered birth, either, I guess...J.J.
<<<SIGH>>>
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
This is the best I came up with

Ann Anderson christ.4/7/1862 at United reform Church Dunblane Perth
no parents listed not even the mother  odd?

Elizabeth Anderson Dunlop1/12/1861
kings Park Presp.Church Dalkieth
father Petter Dunlop
no mother listed

audrey

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 00:44 BST (UK) »
J.J., Monica, Karen, Annie, Audrey,

Not sure how to thank you all for your time, interest, patience, sleuth skills, and overwhelming effort to try and find the origins of these two little girls. :-*

I have poked around the I.G.I. and Scotlands People looking for an Anderson/Dunlop connection but as you said Monica I too have come to the conclusion that is not their correct/birth names.  I think it more than likely they were given those names, and were young enough to not know any different.

If we ever come to any sort of conclusion I promise I will post the results!!

You're all wonderful people!!

Linda

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
 ;D   and Indy too, Lindyloo...   ;D       ::) punchy  :P
Hopefully something turns up over time...Best of luck to you & your friend...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 01:04 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh, sorry Indy!!  You found such a lot too! :-[

Linda